Rhino Prices in 3rd developing countries

I’m not comfortable with answering “how much do you make” when someone asks “how much does it cost”.

2 Likes

Well, yeah, demanding someone’s salary records or income tax return in order to set the price they have to pay would be completely ridiculous - and who would have the time and the means to be able to verify any of that?

Setting prices by the local economics of the region is also problematic. Who defines the regions/prices? The world is a checkerboard of differing economic areas, with stark contrasts often in the same country, maybe in the the next state/county/city or even neighborhood over. And setting those regions only invites the creation of black and gray market parallel sales channels to flow cheaply bought software licenses to areas outside of the “low-price zone”.

Now of course there are businesses that use this model, but they’re usually subscription-based, which is a dirty word to some Rhino users(who are more likely to ask how to install Rhino on an air-gapped Windows 7 machine and be offended by having to divulge a name and address to register it,) and operating in markets like video games where if you suddenly go from “free” to “full price” tier it’ll be easy to spot from the Steam charts.

The evaluation version of Rhino currently allows for 3 months of free use. What about keeping the price of Rhino intact, but offering a leasing plan instead? This way, users from developing countries could buy the program with less hassle on a monthly payment basis. For example, after each confirmed monthly payment Rhino could be unlocked for one extra month, and eventually becomes a full ownership as soon as the last payment is made by the end of the agreed period (like 6 or 12 months).
Example: If Rhino 7 costs 1000 Euros in cash, a leasing version of Rhino could cost 1200 Euros but spread on a period of 1 year. That would translate to 12 payments of 100 Euros each. Even though it will be more expensive as a total cost, it is still much more affordable than having to pay the full price by someone from a country where the monthly salary is like 200-300 Euros.
That model of leasing is used everywhere for any kind of goods and cars.

2 Likes

the issue is that those generally earning a fraction of a standard income would have to invest far more efforts to buy the software. with the above example from Roshdi, that would mean they are working 6 month for a software, where others work that off in a half a month or faster. let alone paying even more as you suggest, according to a standard which is already beyond their capacity.

lets not forget we are talking about a software whos multiplication is almost self-sustaining and needs no further work other than sending out licences and keeping sever costs in check. not talking about further development of course, but taking development as an instance of concern, it simply does not create significant more efforts if prices are equalised to ones income capacity (purchase power seems the correct term).

i know of one example where prices are defined according to this income capacity, which is medicine in Ukraine and i am sure it is not the only country or instance where people have to pay far less in relation.

so i am boldly stating - not adjusting prices accordingly could be deemed unfair. all it needs is the understanding of the situation.

2 Likes

This is a decade old debate and I’ll agree that if there could be a different pricing for “low income users” Rhino could become accessible to a wider audience.
Even with the Student Version - Why it’s expected that you must be a student to start learning Rhino?! What’s with all those people that don’t go to University, but wanna start learning Rhino?
Yet this is a problem I’m seeing with all other “student versions” for every software package.

Also, the trial period is enough to get a basic understanding for Rhino, but it’s no way near enough to get enough training to start making money from the software.
I too come from a developing country and it took me 2 years of savings to buy my first license. I was using a hacked version for years in order to learn and shift my workflow to Rhino.

But I digress. My question is - Can anyone give me a genuine example where a software is licensed based on geo-location [average-income-based pricing]?
It would be one thing to ask McNeel to make a systematic shift in the software industry, but people here are talking as if this is a something that’s already happening in the software world.

And no - those cheap Win10 licenses are not genuine. Those come from sellers of OEM PC brands and just resell the keys they got for configurations that will not be sold and returned to the manufacturer.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Rhino actually has a free 90-day trial version, and the best part is that it could be still used for learning purposes after the expiration period, except that saving files and use of plug-ins are no longer possible (unless a license is ordered).

This is very easy !!
look at the governmental sectors wages related to foreign exchange rates.
how come you earn say $3500 monthly in USA and i earn the same amount of units in LE (Egyptian Pound) while $1 in your country = LE 15.71 in mine then you ask me to buy with your prices.
This is totally madness.
in my point of view this can legalize hacking the software, overpricing is against the law.
Regards.

I disagree.
IMO the best parts [in any software] are Saving and Plug-ins. :slight_smile:

I don’t understand how you would learn to implement Rhino [ex. in an architectural workflow] without being able to save. Without saving you’ll never learn how to manage the later stages of a project.
The plug-ins are also a problem. Probably, your future employer needs you to learn BIM - VisualARQ [+ another purchase], Rhino.Inside [+ a Revit sub], connect it with some other software [+ another purchase or sub]… so you hit a dead-end.

This is not McNeel’s fault at all. As I said in my previous comment - This business model is just the industry standard and there is no going around for now. NOBODY is pricing software, or any other thing based on a country’s average income. If that was the case, the iPhone would be dirt cheap in developing countries.

I come from Macedonia, so I’d say we know the situation in each other’s countries.
Would you say that the average paycheck in Bulgaria would justify a purchase for a software that you are just beginning to learn?

A software developer would tell you that the best part of a software is the income from paid licenses, because this is the natural and well deserved result of all the hard work put into coding the program. This is why saving and exporting of 3d models, as well as using plug-ins, gets locked after the expiration of the 90-day long evaluation of Rhino. Buying a license unlocks these features. :slight_smile:

the iPhone would be dirt cheap in developing countries.
Bad example … software is something different i used be a programmer for 5 years !!
your main raw material in software authoring is minds.
this is why many software companies goes to India as ex. to invest … cause wages there are low.
don’t mix things up pls.
regards.

Hello,

The licensing agreement does not seem to prevent groups of users getting together in some coherent single legal form to purchase one or more licenses , in a similar way to how big multinational companies share licenses among their teams around the world.

The tradeoff would be the time and effort needed to coordinate who has access to the license at what time. It would work best with users in multiple time zones. I realise that this is a digression from the original topic / request for a single-user price which relates to incomes in the country of sale.

Graham

1 Like

Lol. I guess you are right.
I’m just drawing from my own experience when I started learning.
The “locked” Eval is simply not enough.

Maybe it was a bad example.
But still - McNeel are not in India, so that’s - that.

I think you can see that I understand where you’re coming from, by my reply’s.

You are asking McNeel to make a systematic change and that’s not how things go.
I asked you to give me one genuine example of a software company that does this. There are none.
A software is priced globally.

Things may not seem always “fair”, but at the end I’m very thankful that McNeel chose this license price - on international level and given the industry standard this is the fairest price.
Don’t forget to compare it to other software packages.

You’ll find your way and you’ll be able to buy a license.
Tip - breakdown the price of the software into the next few projects when pricing them. :wink:

Most of expensive software in Egypt are already settled :grinning:, as i mentioned in previous comments.
this subject was a try to help McNeel to earn extra easy money :wink:
Thanks.

I disagree.
A country-locked licence will never work.
People will try to resell it as “change of office location”, resulting in overall less money to mcneel. People from poor countries re-selling rhino licences to people around the world. (Make new email, buy, resell)
Also locking by IP won’t work as i expect to bring my laptop into any country and my licence should just work.

Locking the licence to… passport? Nope.

Do you know any software that have a per-country licence price?

This whole thread seems about “equality vs equity”… more like a world problem.
It would be kind for McNeel to solve such problems but also very unexpected.

2 Likes

one could lock the licence to the hardware or country location. yes you can use a cloaked (or however you call that) ip adress but if you are so desperate then you would be using a pirated version anyway.

A local Union of sorts seems appropriate. Operating off a shared Zoo, future costs dispersed to who uses it the most. Either that or supported by local industrial capitalists who hire the work, or as a state sponsored growth and technology initiative.

Just stay away from the financial ‘rentier’ class who will happily rent you the software at a considerable upcharge.

The I was looking at this is that [perhaps], that 4th type of license will be only available through a local reseller [or a {small} regional one]. and they will do the verification! it will be worth while to them because they operate in a low income place already [their operating cost will be much lower then your]

How come there is no Rhino reseller in Egypt ? a country of over 100 million people! I would guess it is not for lack of need or talented young modellers… but rather because most have no choice but to opt for a cracked version.

• Wanted to clarify that I live in an expensive country, so I have no vested interest here. Even if such a license was to become a reality, I personally, won’t be eligible.
    But I have lived in India for many years, and I’ve seen up close the difficulties people face, just to get by.

There is likely a hug number of talented users who are stuck on outdated pirated copies of Rhino, because they have no other choice, and many of them will be happy to pay if a license will be within their reach.

Akash

4 Likes

Excellent comment @Akash :+1:
A lot of expensive software users in Egypt have no pangs of conscience with cracked versions,
why?
because they feel this is unfair, they say after using cracked software “God … pls forgive us :joy:
others in West who have paid much for the software, rejecting the idea till they don’t look as a fools.
Note: many official Western software resellers in Egypt offers custom prices lower than origin.