Rhino is unable to save toolbars from system-wide installed plugins

As the title states rhino is unable to “virtualize” changes made in toolbars contained within folders with administrator rights and save those changes to user specific folders. (I.E.: System wide plugin *.rhp installs containing toolbars within their respective plugin install folders). This results in write errors at rhino shutdown and also the inability to modify certain toolbars permanently.

Hi Userx - are you certain these folders writable? What is the error message, if any?
The default location for toolbars is

%appdata%Roaming\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\UI

-Pascal

@JohnM, this looks like the weird message I get on my machine for some RUI files, right? Any idea what is going on?

-Pascal

This is a problem in SR8 when saving plug-in associated RUI files. To fix this problem try the following:

1. Start a single session of Rhino
  2. Run the Options command and select tool bars in the tree on the left
  3. Right click on Paneling Tools in the top list and choose Save As
  4. Save in your %APPDATA%\McNeel\Rhinoceros\5.0\ui folder
  5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 for the V-Ray_Express.rui file
  6. Close Rhino.

When you restart Rhino you may find two copies of the V-Ray and paneling tools RUI files open, if you do close the ones in Program Files

Wouldn’t it make sense that rhino automatically created a copy of these read-only files in the user profile folder once they are first detected as read-only? Windows does this automatically with some old applications that try to write user settings in system folders by storing them in %userprofile%\AppData\Local\VirtualStore%SystemDirectory%

Yes, this was a bug that has been fixed and will be available in SR9.