Rhino for mac ( retina mbp)

Hi Rhino,

I have problem running Rhino on late 2013 retina macbook pro.
When I rotate to have different perspective, it looks really slowly like slow motion and lag.
I try to find some clue that who have similar situation like me, but still have no solution.
I know my question is quit general topic…but still cannot figure out what to do, espcially its quit upset after I spent thousands dollars on new laptop.

The following is my OpenGL setting:

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2013-12-23 (493)
OS X version: Version 10.9.1 (Build 13B3116)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro11,3
Processor: Intel Core i7-4850HQ CPU @ 2.30GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB
Memory: 2048 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1200
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices
Apple: Internal Memory Card Reader
Mitsumi Electric: Apple Optical USB Mouse
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
None

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.20.15 310.40.15f03
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: None
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

First point: you have changed the display resolution to 1920 x 1200, up from the standard 1440 x 900. When you change the display resolution like this, the System Preferences Display panel gives you a warning:

The display is actually 2880 x 1800 pixels, about 5.2 million pixels. When you change the resolution to 1920 x 1200, display images are now drawn at 3840 x 2400, which is 9.2 million pixels and almost double the standard resolution. Those larger images are then scaled non-linearly down to 2880 x 1800, adding even more overhead.

So, first recommendation is to set the display resolution back to the standard 1440 x 900 and test the results.

Second, you mention that the display is slow, which means you are comparing the performance to something else. But you have not said anything about what you are comparing, like posting a copy of your model, nor mentioning anything about your display modes or anything else that can affect performance.

Nor have you mentioned what you are comparing the Mac performance to. Any extremely large model is going to be slower than a smaller models, regardless of the version of Rhino, but without any more information about what you are testing and comparing, there’s not much we can recommend.

Thanks for replying.

I have tried to switch the resolution to small scale which you suggest, but it doesn’t help much.

Comparison 1
In face, I compared with SR6 Rhino 5 which is running under windows 7 64bit with GTX760. However, the way I compared Rhino on windows(PC) and Rhino on OSX(retina laptop), is just to build a box in both. Then, I made a test of changing the angle in perspective screen of both, the Rhino on OSX run quite slower than the one on Windows. The slow situation I can describe it like when I stop my rotating action, the perspective screen still moving for 0.5 sec in a very lag way… not that smooth…
I’m not sure I can describe it well …

Comparison 2
Then I was thinking, how about try it on two macbook pro which are released in different years ( one is late 2010, another one is late 2013). And then, I got similar result: rhino on the macbook pro without retina works just perfect. The both installed Maverick Version and latest version of Rhino OSX.

C

Sorry, but I cannot duplicate what you are seeing. My development computer is a 2012 retina MBP set at normal resolution. I created a box in a new modeling window and rotating the box is extremely fast. The screen updates at 60 frames per second, which is the fastest possible speed. This is with the 2013-12-23 WIP release and OS X 10.9.1.