Rhino for Mac Graphic Display performance

I’m using Rhino for Mac on a Macbook Pro Retina. Now i noticed that the graphic display performance is a lot lower then the windows version. I mean stuff like spinning, zooming, panning fairly complex models in your view. Simular models would be handled a lot faster in Rhino for windows. Am i having a wrong setting? Or is this still a point of development?

Hello, I have same problem with mid 2012 Macbook Pro. Reaction is very slow, some lags…I have tried OpenGL setting but no results :confused:

Please post your OpenGL settings for both the Mac and Windows version of Rhino, and also give your display resolution setting when running in Windows.

I can confirm after install Rhino 20132-10-18 (484) display performace and reactions is much better!! At this moment I can not see any problem. Settings is default set. Thx

Windows: resolution is 1920x1080. Graphics card: NVIDIA Quadro 1000m. In rhino with openGL settings it says: OpenGL version 4.1.0 and render version 2. Shading language: 4.10 NVIDIA via CG compiler. Texture size: 16384 x 16384. Z-bufferdepth: 24bits. Viewport size: 16384 x 16384. Options checked are: use acc hardware modes, use hardware envir mapping and redraw scene when viewports are exposed. The last two are not checked.

Mac:
Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2013-10-18 (484)
OS X version: Version 10.8.5 (Build 12F45)
Hardware information
Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro10,1
Processor: Intel Core i7-3740QM CPU @ 2.70GHz
Memory: 16 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit
Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Screen size: 1920 x 1080
Displays: S23B300
OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-8.16.74 310.40.00.10f02
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No
Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 2x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

Does that say enough?
Now i updated to the latest build yesterday and i also got the impression it is solved now. Is that possible?

Regards,
Lieven

There were some significant changes to OpenGL drawing in the 3013-10-16 WIP release and later that can improve Rhino for Mac drawing performance.

There are also many hardware and display factors that affect Rhino’s performance. It looks like you are running a retina MacBook Pro with an external display and the laptop lid closed, and that set up would benefit from the latest OpenGL changes.

Opening the Retina MacBook Pro laptop lid (to add a second display) and perhaps changing the laptop display resolution higher than “Best for Retina display” is going to impact performance. On OS X, running the retina display at a higher display resolution is a significant performance hit. I don’t know if the same is true for Windows, so that’s why I asked about your settings.

Thanks for your reply :smile:

I’ve noticed in the couple recent releases that the anti-aliasing seems to be back to rhino 4 for PC levels - lines in all views look super chunky and pixelated. It makes picking out which line is which very difficult. Is this likely just a setting, or a hardware problem? I tried changing anti-aliasing in the OpenGL settings but didn’t notice a difference. If it’s a hardware problem with the new release, will there be an older release available?

Thanks,
Scott

Software information

Software versions
Rhinoceros version: 5.0 Wenatchee 2013-10-18 (484)
OS X version: Version 10.7.5 (Build 11G63)

Plug-ins
None

Hardware information

Computer hardware
Hardware model: MacBookPro5,1
Processor: Intel Core2 Duo CPU T9400 @ 2.53GHz
Memory: 4 GB
Architecture: Intel 64 bit

Video hardware
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512 MB
Screen size: 1440 x 900
Displays: Color LCD

USB devices
Apple Inc.: Built-in iSight
Generic : USB Storage
Apple, Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple Computer, Inc.: IR Receiver
Apple Inc.: Bluetooth USB Host Controller

Bluetooth devices
Apple: Apple Magic Mouse

OpenGL information

OpenGL software
OpenGL version: 2.1 NVIDIA-7.32.12
Render version: 2.1
Shading language: 1.20
Maximum texture size: 8192 x 8192
Z-buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum viewport size: 8192 x 8192

Implementation settings
Use texture compression: No

Appearance settings
Antialiasing: 4x
Mip map filtering: None
Anisotropic filtering: None

This is due to changes in Rhino’s OpenGL drawing that should not but apparently turns off anti-aliased drawing. We’re both working with Apple on this and also evaluating other ways to get accelerated OpenGL drawing. We’ll get this fixed one way or another, but it may take a little time.

Ah. Thanks for the explanation.

compared to virtualized rhino 5 win (Parallels 10) OS X version is much slower on the same model. MBPr 15 mid 2014 in wireframe, artistic, pen and technical display.

Comparing performance with Windows running in Parallels is not a valid comparison. The OpenGL driver in Parallels is inadequate for Rhino, and Rhino turns off a lot of its advanced OpenGL drawing features when it sees a deficient OpenGL driver.

If you want to compare with Rhino for Windows, you would need to boot into Windows and run Rhino there for a valid comparison.

If you still see a significant difference, please

1. Post your Rhino for Mac info from About Rhinoceros > More Info…

2. Post a screen shot of your OpenGL settings from Windows Rhino.

3. Post the model you are using for your tests.