Rhino Displacement Very Bad?


I tried applying a simple checker displacement to a primitive box, but I am getting a very bad result. I expected clean extrusions.

Increasing quality seems to be very inefficient, as it subdivides the mesh a lot more but does not fix the zig zag issue on the faces.

This simple model is extremely heavy… and it does not even look right. A side from the face crenelation there is also glitches at the edges.

What I am doing wrong?

Hello - I guess the texture being black/white with no transitions is going to make that difficult to do cleanly . A slightly blurred checker will allow for some transition at the edges as is, vertices must either be up or down and they may not fall exactly on the checker edges.


Hi Pascal, any texture I try seems to be very bad, it is not unique to checker. Even high quality ones. Blender, a free software does a much better job at displacing…

Even Vray displacement for Rhino seems to be doing a better job:

This would be Rhino displacement:

Vray Displacement

Edit: Practically displacement in Rhino is unusable to me given its output quality and output mesh size (millions of polygons)

Hello - can you post that texture or send it to me? Seems like a good test case.


Sure, thanks for looking into it. Maybe you can get better results than me.

Rhino does a decent job with this map if the initial quality is set ‘extremely high’, which is tough to use. I also set the white point to .5 to keep the displacement from getting too tall.

In any case it may pay to use a displacement channel in a physically based material (V7) rather than Displacement, then Cycles does the work. You do need a pretty fine render mesh to make it look good but it is a lot faster than displacement.


Thanks for checking Pascal. I still have not made the jump to Rhino 7. The other problem is I need to apply the displacement to the geometry to export the model and pass it on to other people who will visualize it.

I was hoping to use displacement as a modelling tool rather than a rendering tool.

Yeah, you can do that but you’ll need to set the initial quality to Extremely High, I think, with a complex map like this, and wait for it to finish. I’d compress the range from 0-.5 as well - it is hard to make changes because it takes so long to regenerate at extremely high, but the results are not bad, I think. I have been testing in 7 , which is different (better than) than 6 I think in this area.

Also, might want to verify that Vray is actually displacing the underlying mesh as cleanly as they render it.