Rhino closing itself

Hello! I am quite new to Rhino and it has been running seamlessly since I began last November. However, recently I am running into an issue with Rhino closing down without detectable reason. Within 5-10 minutes of modeling, I keep receiving the dialog window the asks me if I want to save my work before closing as if I had pressed alt + F4. Just to be sure it’s not be being clumsy, I’ve made small changes without saving and leaving the keyboard alone and still Rhino will attempt to close.

There was a brief period of time where this problem seemed to have resolved itself, but I opened it up today and the problem had returned.

The only culprit I can think of would maybe be a problem with Rhino on another PC. I’ve just moved to a new laptop and made it the primary machine for my Rhino license. The old laptop has since been wiped clean and factory reset, but I figured it could be relevant info. This is issue never occurred before switching to this new laptop. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

System Info:

Rhino 7 SR14 2022-1-10 (Rhino 7, 7.14.22010.17001, Git hash:master @ d8a2d020be8cb487bfc091316ef32170cfc7eddb)
License type: Educational, build 2022-01-10
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 10.0.22000 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Plugged in [35% battery remaining]

Hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display: Intel(R) UHD Graphics (Intel) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 11-2-2021 (M-D-Y).
> Integrated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port
Primary OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 12-29-2021 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 511.09
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 4 adapter port(s)
- Video pass-through to primary display device

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL 4.6 (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 12-29-2021
Driver Version: 30.0.15.1109
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.14.22010.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hello- with a license in the cloud zoo, I do not see a problem with running it on any machine, assuming it is not also open on another machine - what exactly does that dialog window say?

-Pascal

Screenshot 2022-02-03 172314

Although I prompted this box intentionally, this is identical to the one that I get otherwise.

I see, and nothing at all about closing? that is the only feedback Rhino gives? Does the command line have anything when this happens?

-Pascal

It’s quite mysterious. That’s the only feedback I get; no info on command line. I suspect it’s something on my end.

I’ve asked some bigger brains to weigh in…
@whb179 One suggestion is that it is a ‘lease’ on the cloud zoo license that is not properly renewing itself - for whatever reason. If you only use Rhino on that machine, then a test would be to convert to a standalone and see if that sorts it out - if so, we have an idea what to look into.

To lock a license to a computer:

1. Start Rhino
  2. If Rhino starts without asking you to enter an email address:
  3. From the Tools menu in Rhino, click Options
  4. From the License tab, click Change License Key.
  5. Enter the email address to associate with the license.
  6. From the Options link in the lower-left corner, click Enter License Key .
  7. Enter the license key, then click Next .
  8. Click Lock to this computer

-Pascal

Hey Pascal!

Been a minute! I appreciate you looking into this, I know its quite the mystery.

Thankfully (in a way), since our last correspondence, I haven’t required a solution because the spontaneous closing of Rhino has been dormant.

However, just this evening, it briefly returned. Not sure, but it could be related to the root cause. The only thing that happened today that I haven’t done since the time of the original post was save a file as a Rhino 6 file (I currently run and save all my files at Rhino 7).

As soon as I saved that file (which is unrelated to the file that was the subject of the original post), Rhino began closing itself again, every 3-5 mins or so.

I’ve been working for a little while now (longer than 3-5 mins) and it hasn’t closed yet, so the issue isn’t pressing. I thought I might make a quick to update in case it shed light on anything.

Thanks again for all your help!

Hi!
I recently had this problem, and I clicked ‘repair’ in the settings on my PC for the Rhino app and it seemed to fix it, just in case it happens again for you.