Rhino 8 - Spacemouse 'jumping'

By the way, my SpacePilot works properly only when I plug it into a USB 2.0 port. When I plug it into a USB 3.2 port (coloured in blue, otherwise same size like USB 2.0), it produces inconsistent movement of the viewport in both Rhino 7 and 8 (I use a Rhino 5 plug-in to run my unsupported SpacePilot). Maybe it’s worth trying a USB 2.0?

1 Like

I can try, but how can I do it? I have two ports 2 USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports.

Brian,

There’s another thread on the SpaceMouse where its jumping is actually it reverting to a prior position when pressure is removed from the control: 3DConnexion Spacemouse jumpy in Rhino 8 WIP. In that case, it does seem to matter whether the Properties panel is showing details of the viewport or an object.

Hopefully it helps to gather this stuff together.

Regards
Jeremy

I fear this is a red herring. The SpacePilot is an old device not supported by the current 3DConnexion drivers, so Bobi is ingeniously using Rhino 5 software to make it work. I’m not sure we had USB 3.2 back when this came out so the software may not support it. My currently supported SpaceMouse is perfectly happy to work with USB 3.2 (as is yours, if it works in R7).

1 Like

Yes, in R7 The Space Mouse Pro and Cad Mouse work perfectly.
It has now been an hour and without the properties panel active , the problem with R8 has not occurred. Fingers crossed.

In my opinion, the Rhino Options should include an option to switch to Rhino 5’s plug-in, in order to support legacy devices that will not work with the default modern plug-in.

1 Like

Mine is jumping too. R8 SR2. If I zoom, it will pull back.
Also tested in R7 SR35, no issue.

Sorry for the audio.

1 Like

@Quan_Li
Can you send me your file to test out? I’ve been trying to reproduce everyone’s jumping but I’m failing to do so. Can you test out this file as well?
JumpTest.3dm (5.5 MB)

I’ve been spinning models a lot to figure it out, below are using my custom settings

and this one is after using the Reset Command.

1 Like

Also I have limited installation to include only these plugins
Animation

1 Like

File is sent.
I also tested your file at my end. Normally it is ok, but if you try to zoom very close. the jumping occurs.
Also tested in Fusion 360 and Blender 4.0. No issue.

1 Like

Thank you for Sharing your file. I couldn’t make the jump happen.I really want to get to the bottom of the issue, I’m going to spend sometime tomorrow to do it on a separate machine.

1 Like

Okay, I was able to Reproduce it!

1- Reset Rhino
2- Disable all 3rd Party Plugins (Including V-Ray)
3- Start Rhino and open the file
4- After 30 to 60 seconds the jumping behavior will start
5- Import Rhino Options ---- Issue still Persist.
6- Import Rhw and Load the Window Layout named “Tay-1440p - Vray” ------ Issue should be gone.

______Tay_1440p_Vray.rhw (3.4 MB)

this makes me feel that it is very related (if not caused by) to the UI of Rhino 8

1 Like

Update:
it seems to be related to the Properties Panels and mcneel team are aware of this as reported by Brian above.

Usually, I default my workspace to the layer’s panels, that’s why I don’t get that. so the whole exercise I did above didn’t mean anything helpful

Although I reported this a year ago, it seems now it is narrowed down to the below:

as a conclusion, the camera properties often fail to catch up and update the camera location on the properties panel causing the camera to revert to the last documented location. The Properties panel’s UI requires some optimization to get things fixed.

V7 :

in V7: the properties panel update the location values like this:

vs V8 :

2 Likes

Update. I have been using for 10 days a new desktop Pc , much, much more powerful than the previous laptop.
I use the right sidebar with pop-up mode and make sure I never select the properties panel as the last panel used. This way I never have any problem with the Space Mouse. I don’t know if this information will be useful, but I thought I would share it.

3 Likes

This is another confirmation that UI optimization is urgently needed for the Properties Panels.

1 Like

Thanks all, I’ve added your recent comments to the bug report for the developers.

2 Likes

I had the same issue, changing to Objectmode fixed both the jumpiness and the reverse motion.

1 Like

I am having a similar issue on Rhino8 SR3 (8.3.24009.15001, 2024-01-09), but instead of a zoom jump or random orbit around the object, I am getting a random rotation. It’s not consistent but it seems to happen when I hover over the popup menu or layers panel after/during a move with the space mouse.

Is it possible that this edge case was overlooked since the default space mouse settings constrain the up orientation of the camera to the z axis? It could also be a separate issue altogether.

1 Like

I had this before, seems to be related to tooltips try disabling them in the options and give it a try.

2 Likes

I have disabled tooltips from this menu and I am still experiencing this jumping issue.

Is there another location to turn them off for the toolbars and menus? This only seems to be relevant to tooltips in the viewport.

Disabling tooltips also seems like a significant tradeoff.

1 Like