Rhino 8 HiddenLineDrawing - Issue with occluded sectioned segments

Hello Everybody, @GregArden and @rajaa,

I fear some of the gremlins you were able to fix here Rhino 8 HiddenLineDrawing - Issue with OccludingSectionOption - #13 by GregArden might have come back recently. I came across a few issues with 2D-Drawings I created with a custom HLD-Script where some Curves that shold be Hidden behind a filled Section Fill remained visible.

I was able to setup a Grasshopper test file where these issues seem to be repeatable:
240907_SimpleHiddenLineTest.gh (22.4 KB)
(Rhino Template is “Small Objects - Meters”)

A simple Center Box, placed at a certain Point and sectioned by the (flipped) XZ Plane.
If I set the center point of the box to e.g. Y = 2.90, all hidden curves are occluded as expected:

If I now move it to Y = 3.00, the lines behind the Section Occlusion aren’t hidden anymore:

Now I move it further to Y = 3.01, the occluded lines are hidden again:

Next test, Y = 4.00, the lines reappear:

And a final test, Y = 4.10, the lines are occluded again, as expected:

There seems to be a bug somwhere in that area if I’m not completely mistaken… Can you repeat that behaviour on your side?
Thank you!

Hey @GregArden and/or @rajaa,
can you repeat these issues on your side? Is it maybe even something you’re already aware of?
Would be very happy if you could give a short insight on your thoughts about this…
Thank you!

@romio82 what service release are you using?
I tested with V8 SR11, and I am not observing the issue. Please test with the latest SR and let us know how that looks.

Hey @rajaa, thank you for looking into this!
As my update frequecy is set to Service Release Candidates, I just downloaded the latest RC for SR12 (8.12.24254.14001, 2024-09-10) and I’m still seeing the described issues.
Can you repeat the issues with that version?

I can’t repeat it using SR12. One difference is that I use the GH Flip:

Hello @rajaa,
thank you for checking the new SR!
I fear my (accidential) use of the non-native flip plane component caused a bit of disturbance here… In my opinion your solution with flipping the plane via GH flip unfortunately doesn’t work in this context - as far as I can see the plane remains un-flipped. So you aren’t looking towards the clipped part of the cube but on the closed one.

I adapted my Grasshopper a little bit and rotated the view instead of flipping the plane:


240912_SimpleHiddenLineTest.gh (20.3 KB)

That way I can reproduce the issue without using a flipped plane. Do you see that behaviour on your side as well? Sorry for coming up with a non-native solution in the first place!

I see it now. This looks like a bug. I created this YT… for @GregArden to have a look.

Thank you @rajaa!
Did you already have a chance to look into this, @GregArden?

Hey @GregArden and @rajaa,
sorry for being tenacious here but do you maybe have a rough timeframe on when we can expect news on this HiddenLine-Issue?
Our internal workflow to create 2D-drawings is partly based on this feature and at the moment it’s quite tedious handwork to get rid of unwanted curves within sectioned areas.
It would be great to get a rough estimation on when this could be tackled.
Thank you!

Hi @rajaa and @GregArden,

when reading through the latest ServiceRelease Fixes I realized a lot of work was put into the area of this thread’s topic. I just tried my simple HiddenLine Grasshopper Test again with the first SRC 17 and all Issues I talked about seem to be fixed now.
Great work, thanks a lot!!
The YT you created could be closed from my point of view.

Hi Romuald -

I’m still seeing an issue with the slider from that report set to, e.g. 4.1.

-wim

Strange. I’m on the latest SR17 (8.17.25049.13001, 2025-02-18) and I can’t reproduce any of the issues. A setting of 4.1 on the slider produces the following result on my setup wich looks great:

Very strange that you get a different result…

Agreed. I’m on macOS and (8.18.25052.02002, 2025-02-21)…
-wim

Hi Romuald -
I’ve changed your definition a little bit and tested in Version:
8 SR28 (8.28.26041.11001, 2026-02-10)

and still see the same problems.

260211_SimpleHiddenLineTest.gh (32.9 KB)

Really strange! For me (on Windows) everything works as expected since SR17..
Are you on Windows or on Mac?
Do you see these problems with the definition in the state you uploaded? Could you by chance post a screenshot how it looks like on your screen when it fails?

I’m on windows.