Rhino 8 Feature: USD (Universal Scene Description) Export

Rhino 8 adds USD as an option to the _Export command.

The first version of Rhino 8 will export meshes, mesh vertex colors, PBR materials, and textures.
Later releases will bring NURBS curves and surfaces, SubDs, and the ability to import.

This latest WIP includes the option as a preview and the feature will improve as we get closer to releasing Rhino 8.

We are currently testing the export with Quick Look, Preview, and Finder on Apple platforms.
Let us know in what other apps and platforms you’d like to import USD files created from Rhino.

11 Likes

Great news!

This means that anyone can look at the model, like in a browser or whatever right? I know I should just Google it but…

Other apps and platforms I’m planning to bring a USD from Rhino into would be:

• Maya
  • Houdini
  • Substance
  • Omniverse
3 Likes

This is awesome! I also see that Rhino support USD import. Does this import bring in data pertaining to animations and cameras? If not, is this information preserved for export as to allow lossless roundtripping upon export?

1 Like

Thank you for supporting this. Great news. Looking forward to trying it out.

No on both accounts.

Google modelviewer requires glb and usdz.

Would be nice to be able to output both formats from Rhino.

(modelviewer.dev)

glTF and glb export and import plugins have been added to Rhino 8 and are open source here

1 Like

Would it be possible to eventually append those USD attributes to 3dm files so we could view those files in Quicklook to view the model on the desktop without opening Rhino. Rhino just needs a good Quicklook plugin to view 3dm files. Would this be a direction to add that functionality to the 3dm file format or is this wishful thinking?

We are not actively working on import support. We want to get the exporter working well first.

13 posts were split to a new topic: Future: Universal Scene Description export