Rhino 8 Development

I thought of 4 Grasshopper-related requests, and I couldn’t think of many!

1.) I appreciate the (Curve-Middle and) the Chamfer option on the Fillet. Can we please have the ability to chamfer 2d planar curves, so that the chamfering can also be done before we get to 3D?

2.) Oh, please, could we have the option for Grasshopper to also nest in a Rhino Window, like this?

3.) As a big fan of comments and remarks, I wish that in icon view that we could still assign a label to a component, like we can when full names are showing.

4.) Someday, could Grasshopper’s icons look a little more like Rhino, you know, for marketing. You see, even though Grasshopper started out as a plug-in, it seems to be working out just fine. : )

4 Likes

I hope that my suggestion is taken seriously: The sphere of influence (show above) can be the clue that the SoftTransform command has been enabled.

2 Likes

Please rename RenderOpenRenderImage to OpenRenderImage.

Gumball widget called ‘axis plane indicator’ is made of one-pixel wide lines. These lines are so thin that they are sometimes invisible. Please increase their thickness to two pixels.

Where is this up to at the moment? I agree, this is really important for the user experience.

RenderOpenRenderImage command is neither on toolbars, nor on menus.

First off, I think Rhino is amazing.

I’d suggest to update the fillet solver. It’s the main area that makes entry level CAD approachable to new users. Rhino is by no means entry level, but finding a workaround for a simple fillet on a tapered surface means the relaxation (and production speed) is over.

CAD is increasingly becoming a must skill in the entertainment industry. Arrimus 3D and others with a big following amongst low caste modeling nerds like myself are reviewing CAD applications and ease of filleting comes up a lot. The market segment is growing fast and the wave might be worth catching given that Rhino is more artist friendly.

Zbrush just came out with an amazing voxel based chamfer plugin. I don’t know how they pulled it off but I can tell they’re throwing money at the demand for hard surfacing. I’d agree with a commenter above, good subd is available everywhere already and for free, so not quite on the high priority per se.

I do similar work and I think part of the problem with Rhino is that it is “all things to all (wo)men” to some extents. Reading through this thread, McNeel would have to employ 3 times the developers to try and suit all of us. To me, one of the biggest strengths of Rhino is the niche plugins that make it just right for doing the job (Veesus’ excellent point cloud plugin, Mesh2Surfce etc for our kind of work, VSR etc, I’ve used landscaping tools in the past and stuff like ORCA for specific Marine Engineering problems). I’d be very wary of wanting McNeel to embed the good stuff from niche plugins as it’ll presumably kill plugin development and lessen the chance of getting “just the tool”.
Concentrate on improving the core modelling tools, stuff like blocks, the drafting and keep the import/export side of things up to date and VERY robust. Encourage the plugins and enable those developers to make a decent income with their specific areas of expertise. I appreciate those plugins are sometimes more than Rhino, but that’s partly because I doubt Rhino’s cost has even followed inflation as it has matured!

13 Likes

Very Fair Comment !
Regards,
Mike.

Block Editor really needs tons of improvements! It’s really hard to use.

1. Show us the base point of a block when it’s selected, and allow us to drag its base point to change its position.
  2. When editing it, current editor works in world XYZ, but sometimes we need to work within the block’s inner XYZ system. Please add this stand-alone block editor.
  3. Nested block is hard to work with. If there are a lot of nested blocks inside and I want to edit one, it should highlight which one I selected in the list view, instead of just showing me a list, and I have to guess which one I chose.
9 Likes

I made a topic in the Bongo area, but I probably should have just posted my question/ request here…
Is there any chance we’ll get some type of motion studies in Rhino 8? Or include bongo in v8 much like how grasshopper was included in 6?
I’d love to be able to hook up parts and make them move, and to export animations as alembic files for use in other software.
My current work around is just to export and rig in mesh based software which is why stand alone Bongo currently seems quite expensive to me for what it does, compared to whats available (for free in some cases)

4 Likes

This thread might be an interesting read for you

4 Likes

How about a camera view showing the reflected ceiling plan ?

Maybe in Rhino 12 ???

3 Likes

+1 for reflected ceiling plan.

3 Likes

I was wondering about a smart zoom to where the mouse is at. Is that already a feature? I have been using the zoom selected since. But lately been using blender a lot and it kind of changed how I work with rhino. The smart zoom in blender is really a timesaver.

can you post a video or link to see how that works?

ZoomExtents is what you mean, I am guessing.

1 Like

thank you, solved. (mod can also delete my comment in order to keep this tidy)

1 Like

do better tecnical representations for meshes when doing make2d command. Put some options to only draw the otline edges, to activate or not the meshes wireframes.

I don’t remember if this topic was “Spline Deformer” in the request for the future rhino. But I think it would be very interesting considering the SubD tools. Example:

Thank you for your
work!

1 Like

_SoftTransform

1 Like