Rhino 8 Development

__Soft Transform is a very great tool . But the spline deformer gives slightly different possibilities if you consider this topic in more detail. It kind of reminds me of rigging, but with a Bezier curve. We can also, at a high level of subdivide, use our Bezier curve to deform the geometry. Although, of course, it can be done with a grasshopper, but I’m not good at it.
I have sent only a few examples from this topic.

Pixar’s USD (Universal Scene Description) format is important (USD Home — Universal Scene Description 21.11 documentation). Some companies (NVIDIA), are using this as the default format for their evolving Metaverse efforts. That makes sense. Blender has import/export capability already. Its stands a fighting chance to be the world’s default 3d scene format going forwarrd. Metaverse is of course the hottest topic in 3d for 2022, with many efforts underway in terms of interoperability.

5 Likes

The ability to create a table of contents- or BOM as some call it. A live table you can refresh, and export for use in Excel when working with the shop floor or the procurement department. The kind of thing you can do in Vectorworks with worksheets, extracting data from symbols and creating a table of contents, name, size, finish, quantity etc etc, would be an awesome addtion (and badly needed and wanted for years)

5 Likes

command line in rhino for mac ! It is just so great!

BOM generation and Tables please. Also anything related to fabrication and documentation will be great.

5 Likes

Is there any plans to have better support for out-of-the-box point-cloud handling. being able to import .RCP and .RCS files would be great and being able to load large point-clouds without it crashing would also quite nice. Also, being able to change point size, point transparency and point-cloud sub-regioning. Althought not sure if there is a critical mass here that would be into this.

…right now I am forced to use Autocad because it is surprisingly the best app (relative to cost) for point-cloud analysis / modeling.

1 Like

wouldnot live link from excel be better?

is it a complete format to support geometry, blocks, assemblies, constraints, textures, special effects etc etc? annotations, hatches, curves, saved views, attributes to objects?

Now I know again what I actually wanted: I actually want a mouse rotation—rotating the scene around the place where your mouse points. Is that also already part of Rhino7? Especially for big scenes that feature would be very handy. At the moment I cheat with zoom window which simulates a new reference. Kind of one extra step. If the mouse was the reference that would be fantastic. As I said this issue popped up only after using blender and co. (Maybe this feature already exists and I have been living behind the moon with prehistoric workflows :woozy_face:. I was kind of afraid to ask this one… )

1 Like

It’s here, but hard to discover… One wish is to make it a default rotation as an option:

8 Likes

Perfect! +1

1 Like

I second the BOM/excel/table initiative . I am always having to paste excel sheets into shop drawing pdf exports. If tables/schedules could be generated from key:value user text it would be very BIM-Like. Or just being able to create custom/manual schedules , keys , legends would be good as well .

4 Likes

Before adding new features, especially on the mac, I would really try to make Rhino as fast as possible. It is a wonderful piece of software where you can work simultaneously on 2d and on 3d, but 2d speed is never satisfying. Once you have curves, hatches, layouts and maybe add some dwgs from your suppliers… the software is very laggy. It doesn’t depend on a particular file.

I think that is a real shame and limits the possibility of usage and clients. My biggest wish for the future is that Rhino mac will be able to handle curves, hatchtes, dwgs and layouts faster. So you can really use the full potential without losing time because of lagginess.

This is coming in V8

3 Likes

improved 2D performance for PC as well?

That would be amazing and make it possible to use the full potential of Rhino in using it for 3d modeling and the production of 2d construction documents.

There will hopefully be some performance improvements on Windows as well, but they won’t be as dramatic as Mac.

1 Like

ok, I understand that there is more catching up to do on the mac and especially more room for improvement on the new apple silicon.
wouldn’t want to complain about 2d performance on pc anyway, I’m happy. just minor things here and there.

I just use another display for Grasshopper. If I remember Grasshopper is java and impossible to dock into Rhino.

Point cloud improvement is a must.

1 Like