Rhino 7 Subdivs working in Rhino 6?

The properties panel is a 2nd choice method because it requires the user to divert his view from the object he’s working on to wherever the properties panel is and then back. This is the kind of visual micro-monkey-motion that slows the workflow. It’s good that it’s there as a backup, but some type of quick acting object based cue should also be available.

I think it breaks into two parts:
A transient indication that the command “took” like a brief color change flash of the object or some element of the object that’s always present regardless of display mode (well, maybe not necessarily rendering modes).
A static indication of the object’s status as a subD object as opposed to a very similar or even identical looking Nurbs object.

Actually the idea of a brief color flash might be good! Hard to overlook, requires no clicks, and no lookup somewhere in the UI.
As always, a preference should be there should it get annoying.

The good news is that your Rhino 6 plug-ins will work in Rhino WIP and Rhino 7. If you find a plug-in that works in Rhino 6 and does not work in Rhino WIP / Rhino 7, it’s a bug and we’d love to know about it.

To answer the question you asked: Rhino SubD has been significantly changed since the early prototype that is in Rhino 6. If you expect Rhino 6 to turn a snazzy Rhino 7 subd into useless junk, then you won’t be too disappointed. The problem is that as soon as you save the model in Rhino 6, you’ve “touched it” because you used the Rhino 6 code to read the subd into Rhino 6 and then used the Rhino 6 code to save it back to the file.

1 Like

A-ha. Good to know, thanks!
The plugins I’m using are VisualArq and Enscape. If those would run in R7, I’d light a candle.
For now, my approach is to keep both a R6 and R7 file, work on the SubD in R7 only , and merge it into R6 for rendering or plan graphics.

Hi @Eugen,

VisualARQ 3 will work in Rhino 6 and Rhino 7. We’ll publish very soon the first WIP of VisualARQ 3.

If you want to try it now, we can send you a build of VisualARQ 3 WIP for Rhino 7. You need a valid commercial (non-evaluation) version of VisualARQ 2 to use it. Take into account that if is a WIP version, so it may contain bugs, and documents saved with VisualARQ 3 cannot be opened in VisualARQ 2.

Regards,

Enric

Thanks! Mail sent.
Will VA2 work in rhino 7, too? Or does it already, as Dale states?

Hi @dalelear and @andy,

I’ve found a weird v6 vs. V7 incompatibility yesterday.

2 weeks ago I re-imaged Windows in my laptop and I didn’t install V6. I have not used it for for years now, I’ve only been installing V6 and V5 if I want to test some compatibility issue, or do some Tsplines work.

So I went to install Octane, Vray and Bongo on my computer that had only Rhino V7 installed. No V6 or no V5 were installed in this computer.

• Vray failed, but It’s propably because I have an installer that was a few month old. Running their latest newer installer (vray_42001_rhino_win_x64.exe) fixed it. So it worked.

• Octane also worked.

• Bongo…

So I had to download and install Rhino V6 so I could then install Bongo for V7.

Still it didn’t work. There was no Bongo installed in V7 at all. after looking under the hood everywhere I found “C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)”

Dragging and dropping C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\BongoUI.20.v60.rhp didnt do anything, but if I go a level deeper to C:\Program Files\Bongo 2.0 (64-bit)\Rhino6 I can dran and drop: Bongo.20.rhp. Only then I can go one level up and drag and drop: BongoUI.20.v60.rhp

Now Bongo seems to work in V7. But I’m not even sure if I did all the needed steps of I left anything behind/broken.

Since you know the developers and all, you might want to tell them to update this? :slight_smile:

Thanks,

G

Noted. The “developers” discussed this installer bug in today’s dev meeting.

Noted. …this is why I waited 5 days to report this bug.

I’ll leave you this Spanish literature anonymous saying:

You did all the steps to have Bongo running in your Rhino WIP.

Programming is so easy :crazy_face:

even I can do it!

1 Like