Rhino 7 Legacy Rhino Render leaves horizontal lines on completed render

Hi all,

I’ve been having some issues trying to render using the legacy Rhino render. It seems to think that the render is completed while leaving some small non-rendered horizontal lines on the rendering. I’ve attached photos to show what I’m talking about. After scouring the internet, I can’t seem to find anyone else who has experienced the same problem, although anecdotally, it’s happened to one of my classmates. All of these renders have these types of artifacts and I’d love to figure out a way to see if there’s something I can do to make it stop happening. I’ve also included a screenshot of the finalized render screen in case there’s something I’m missing or some setting that I need to double check.

For context, because I imported this model from sketchup, I don’t have a way of closing the geometry which gives the non-legacy Rhino Render some issues, especially as I’m using a clipping plane here to create a plan view. Legacy Rhino Render seems to give the best result except for these annoying lines that appear to be parts of the image that are not completely rendered, even though the software says the render is complete.

If anyone has experienced this issue before, or perhaps has found a solution, I’d love to hear it.

Thank you!
[EDIT: I forgot to include that I’m using the Intel Denoiser plugin, however, this issue has persisted before installing it and does not appear to be related]

Computer/software information:
Rhino: Version 7 (7.23.22282.13002, 2022-10-09)
Computer: Macbook Pro 14 in. 2021
Processor: M1 Pro chip
Memory: 16 GB

Including SystemInfo here:

Rhino 7 SR23 2022-10-9 (Rhino 7, 7.23.22282.13002, Git hash:master @ a931168ca9426920ae6aa97218710b662f17fc39)
License type: Educational, build 2022-10-09
License details: Cloud Zoo

Apple macOS Version 12.6 (Build 21G115) (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Rhino is running in Rosetta2 on Apple Silicon
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookPro18,3
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

Apple M1 Pro (OpenGL ver:4.1 Metal - 76.3)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Apple
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 10922 MB
Graphics: Apple M1 Pro
Displays: Unknown (255dpi 2x)

Graphics processors
Apple M1 Pro
Color LCD (1512 x 982 @ 120.00Hz)

USB devices
None

Bluetooth devices
None

Third party kernel extensions
None

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCloudKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreData.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreGraphics.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreLocation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDarwin.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDispatch.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIOKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftObjectiveC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftXPC.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftos.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswift_Concurrency.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAppKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreImage.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftMetal.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftQuartzCore.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCryptoTokenKit.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAccelerate.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftContacts.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreAudio.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreML.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMedia.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftOSLog.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftVision.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftsimd.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftNetwork.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftDemangle.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftFileProvider.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftIntents.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomePubSub.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftPrivate_BiomeStreams.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftUniformTypeIdentifiers.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftAVFoundation.dylib
/usr/lib/swift/libswiftCoreMIDI.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/DatasmithRhino7.rhp/DatasmithFacadeCSharp.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/DatasmithRhino7.rhp/libtbb.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/DatasmithRhino7.rhp/libtbbmalloc.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.4/libtbb.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.4/libtbbmalloc.dylib
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.4/libOpenImageDenoise.1.2.3.dylib

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/MacPlugIns/DatasmithRhino7.rhp “Datasmith Exporter” 5.0.3.0
/Users/natesmith/Library/Application Support/McNeel/Rhinoceros/packages/7.0/IntelDenoiser/0.6.4/IntelDenoiser.Mac.rhp “IntelDenoiser.Mac” 1.0.0.0

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 7.23.22282.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 7.23.22282.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 7.23.22282.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 7.23.22282.1002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 7.23.22282.13002
/Applications/Rhino 7.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Legacy Rhino Render” 7.23.22282.1002

Hi @Nathaniel_Smith ,

Can you post the 3dm or email it to tech@mcneel.com with a link back to this forum post? I would like to try and reproduce this issue but at the same time, I bet you could get the same or better result using the v7 Rhino Renderer instead. I would also look at ways to close the objects so the clipping intersection is solid.

I’ll email them, thanks for the advice! Posting the .3dm in this comment as well
[EDIT: the open geometry is unfortunately a side effect of this being an early project I created in sketchup that I don’t have a lot of time to remodel in closed form using Rhino, but I’ll see if I can find some time soon. Many thanks again for the advice!]
program only.3dm (10.8 MB)

Hi @Nathaniel_Smith ,

Thanks for the file… I haven’t been able to reproduce this on Mac or Windows Rhino 7 using the Legacy Rhino Render. The file may not be exactly the same though as it didn’t have a clipping plane in it or the Sun on. I added those but still can’t get it to happen.

So I don’t have much to suggest yet unfortunately other than using the newer Rhino Render which yields a different Sun shadow which doesn’t pay attention to the clipping plane. I filed that as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-70997 though. You’d have to use Wirecut on the model and then render that to get the same shadow. I’d also use the Intel denoiser after around 150-200 samples.

I’l try rendering again using your tips, thank you for your help!