Rhino 7 for Mac - Disable Automatic Updates

Hi All, I would like to disable checking for automatic updates. I know the user can do this in Advanced settings but I would like to do this when I deploy the application to our users.

I’ve tried writing to the prefs domain com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7 with these keys but they don’t seem to work

MRDisableCheckForUpdates
SUEnableAutomaticChecks

I know windows has the parameter options. Is there something similar for Mac?
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/installingrhino/7

@JohnM When we addressed:

RH-60427 Preferences: Added an advanced setting on Mac to disable checking for updates

it looks like we removed the check on MRDisableCheckForUpdates - the previous Rhino for Mac NSUserDefaults compatible preference key:

Setting that preference from Terminal looked like this:

defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros MRDisableCheckForUpdates -bool YES
(for Rhino 5, that is)

Do you think there’s a way we could pass a valid “new-style Rhino settings” compatible-way in? I’m not sure this is even possible. I ran a diff on the ~/Library/Preferences/com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7.plist before and after setting the EnableCheckForUpdates in Preferences > Advanced, but I could not find this key as I believe the xml is compressed (?). Do you know a way to figure out the key?

In the end, we might need a more Mac compatible way to doing this. It was probably a mistake on our part (mine included) removing this.

@dan I can tweak the key name so that it is compatible with the Advance Settings page and allow you to set it there easily enough.

@johnm It’s already easily set via the Advanced Settings page. The problem that @5kinner is having - if I’m understanding correctly - is he would like to set it via a script for a large-scale deployment. Something akin to calling:

defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros MRDisableCheckForUpdates -bool YES

from Terminal, zsh, or bash; ie: something that does not require starting Rhino. Hopefully, I’m reading his original post correctly. I was hoping we could figure out how to do something like this from bash:

defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7 <EnableCheckForUpdates> -bool NO

You can use the following to turn the new setting off:
defaults write com.mcneel.rhinoceros.7 User.Options.Advanced.EnableCheckForUpdates -bool NO

2 Likes

Awesome @JohnM ! Thanks. Just tested that out and it worked like a charm.

Should that trick work for any key name in the plist? (In theory?)

That looks great! I’ll try it here shortly. Many Thanks…

1 Like

Thanks for your help this did the trick.

I used a post install script to set that preference in the context of the logged in User and it worked great

@dan Yes, that trick should work for any key name as long as the key string is properly formatted.

1 Like