Rhino 6 timeline

I think Rhino is a great multi-application software. I have been using it for architectural design for a long time now and would definitely like to see more functionality from that perspective integrated into it.

1 Like

Rhino has found a(nother) niche in this. :slight_smile:

It may well be a significant part of Rhinoā€™s future Blue Ocean Strategy ( Blue Ocean Strategy - Wikipedia )

// Rolf

Hi everybody,
Iā€™m looking for a place to follow the last news about the Rhino 6 releaseā€¦
Is this a good place? Would you recommend me any other?
I do even prefer to create an e-mail alarm or something so I wouldnā€™t like to miss it if finally the day comesā€¦
Thank you!

Iā€™m sure you wonā€™t miss it, there will be e-mails directly from McNeel promoting the release when it gets near timeā€¦

If you are following Serengeti, there will also be announcements of ā€œRelease Candidatesā€ you know weā€™ll be getting close then.

ā€“Mitch

1 Like

Thank you Mitch,
waiting for that day to comeā€¦
From now I will move to Serengeti :slight_smile:

I think towards the end of the year we will see the final version of Rhino 6, still there are hundreds and hundreds of bugs to be solved, and every day they come out different, always new and unexpected.

1 Like

David76, I hope you keep showing good examples of how to make software better.Donā€™t get discouraged . Keep working at it. ā€”Mark

I hope itā€™s before the end of the yearā€¦ And yes, with every release hundreds of new bugs are introduced, as completely new features are added which didnā€™t exist previously. If the developers spent all their time just fixing bugs in the existing version, weā€™d never have any new versions.

There are bugs in all software, the more complex, the more bugs. Rhino is pretty complex given itā€™s 1000 or so commands and wide range of fields of application, plug-in architecture, etc. Itā€™s impossible to track everything down during Beta testing - so when new versions are publicly released, there will be new bugs discovered by the increased user base using Rhino in ways that were not included in the original testing. Thatā€™s what service releases are for.

The highest priority stuff are crash bugs, Rhino is generally very stable, so you can see that most of those are taken care of pretty early on. After that come things that provoke various kinds of errors even if they donā€™t crash Rhino, after that comes more minor stuff. Some of the bug fixing priority depends on how difficult it is to fix it, whether it requires just changing one line of code without any dependencies or re-writing a whole section with a lot of dependenciesā€¦

ā€“Mitch

I understand the complexity of all the development work. It is not easy, I know ā€¦ it would be nice to be able to help find bugs, such as beta-testers (unfortunately not yet possess Rhino, I would buy it, perhaps).
Good work to all developers.

PROBLEMS with an existing release ( not ā€œBug fixesā€ for new gee-whiz features but EXISTING PROBLEMS remaining at RELEASE) are what intermediate releases are for. Some new features can be developed for a GIVEN release during the life of THAT release, but these should be incremental, with MAJOR additions held - and bug-fixed during the BETA stages of the NEXT Release. THEN when THAT version is RELEASED, the process begins anew. Solutions to some major problems with -5, for instance are being held back for -6, creating a software example of the unsolvable ā€œ3-Body Problemā€. Iā€™m not trying to be clever. This was a WELL RECOGNIZED phenomenon in the development of AutoCAD back on the late 80ā€™s and early 90ā€™s, and still plagues some MAJOR systems today, like RHINO. I was on one of the ATC User Advisory Boards for AutoDESK at that time, and they literally had to change their development paradigm to something like what I mentioned above. Of course this necessitated a major re-work of their error-handling system, but you see the results NOW in their largely world-wide domination of the Engineering CAD Market. That this extended thru to their development of Inventor, affecting the life-cycle of Mech Desktop, and extended later to their Animator implementation - 3DS, has contributed significantly to their general success, as much as they continue to frustrate THEIR user base by playing around with things like ā€œSubscription Licensingā€, etc. Oh well. I guess you have to be an ā€œold-f_rtā€ to be aware of any of this (40 year career as a CAD Designer). I guess every generation has to re-learn these lessons the hard way. That RHINO remains a worthy successor to the Discrete Modeler market is a testimony to their resilience, but that doesnā€™t mean these frustrations - and lessons - donā€™t apply. Best to all, - C.