Rhino 6 is slower than Rhino 5

I used free GPU-Z utility program to compare the so called display pipeline performance of Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. (I tumbled small drawing while making the following screenshot. The most important parts of the screenshot are highlighted with yellow color.) To my surprise, my Quadro K2000M graphics card worked twice as hard in Rhino 6 than in Rhino 5.

I opened the same small drawing in Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. Rhino 5 was faster in this test as well. Rhino 5 opened simple 3DM file in 42 seconds. Rhino 6 opened the same file in 55 seconds. I removed polygon mesh from the 3DM file and ran the test again. This time Rhino 6 opened the 3DM file much faster. Rhino 5 opened the file in 38 seconds. Rhino 6 opened the file in 16 seconds.

There are more problems with Rhino 6. It is buggy. It does not have the help file, only online documentation. Searching for a command in the online documentation is slow because search results produce lots of irrelevant links and because the list of all commands is not available. Rhino 6 does not have compact command prompt used by Rhino 5 for the Macintosh, but the old, wide screen hog.

Rhino 6 introduced new Tweedledum-Tweedledee commands: Parabola3Pt, ShowDir, and DevLoft.

My conclusion: Rhino 6 is not better than Rhino 5, just different.

This is expected; Rhino 6 makes more use of the video card. You should notice an (large) increase in display performance. If not, I’m sure they would like to hear about it.

1 Like

Hello - you might try
testMaxSpeed
with the same file, same view, same exact display mode & lighting, and same viewport size in each, and no floating toolbars or controls. Does that support your conclusion?

-Pascal

Maybe I’m misunderstanding something, but how does the gpu load being higher imply that v6 is slower. In my experience v6 handles complicated models better than 5v in every way, most likely because it’s putting more load on the gpu than before.

Thank goodness for that. Mac Rhino does not have a command line. It only has a “command search” popup or docked panel followed by other popups or in the same cramped docked panel.

The Windows command line is adjustable to any size you want if you float it, or you can dock other toolbars next to it to make it smaller if docked.

I would like to put it on top of the tabbed panels, but I cannot dock it there, so I keep it in a corner.
rhino 6 - short command prompt

The following screenshot shows my favorite arrangement of menus, but I cannot dock them there.

Yeah, it’s astronomically faster on large projects. The downside…well the K2000M is a few generations old, it may not be a dramatic speedup. But hey, people have been asking for Rhino to lean on the hardware more since…well I think my first “3D accelerator” card was an ATi Rage II.

I have tested my CPU almost the same way. This time used Windows Task Manager. The results are in the following screenshot. Rhino 6 forces CPU to run slightly harder than Rhino 5.

Yes. It is possible that Rhino 6 runs too fast on small drawings and wastes energy when it should be running slow.

Rhino 5: Command: testMaxSpeed
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 1.03 seconds.

Rhino 6: Command: testMaxSpeed
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 1.17 seconds. (85.40 FPS)

I removed all objects except polygon mesh and tested it again.

Rhino 5: Command: testMaxSpeed
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 0.59 seconds.

Rhino 6: Command: testMaxSpeed
Time to regen viewport 100 times = 0.80 seconds. (125.47 FPS)

I was wrong. List of all Rhino 6 commands is here: Rhinoceros Help

…but InfinitePlane and Thickness commands are not listed there…

I have the same problem.

Mac Pro 12 core using windows 10.
Radeon 5800 1 GB.

Same file open in Rhino 5 and Rhino 6. (190 MB)
i switch off all 3D.
just lines of a tecnical drawing.

R6 is much slower and laggy compared to R5!
i even reduced antialiasing to just 2x. no change…
GPU tessalation is switched off due to a bug (forgot which one, but the Forum solution for that was to switch it off).

I hope Rhino 6 will get some speed upgrade in future udates!
for now I prefer to work with Rhino 5!
I don’t see all that difference…