Rhino 6 Display Mode Issue

I’ve encountered an issue with all of my files in Rhino 6. Any objects without an assigned display mode (i.e. the objects are set to “UseView” mode) display as wireframe. I can get these objects to display properly if I turn “flat shading” on and then off again in the display attributes, but any new geometry I create displays in wireframe regardless of the viewport display mode I’m in. I’ve attached images of the following:

1 - Model when opened in “rendered” view mode, note the objects displaying as wireframe

2 - Model after checking and unchecking “flat shading” in display attributes

3 - A new box geometry displays as wireframe

I’m currently running Version 6 SR13 (6.13.19058.371, 2/27/2019)
Let me know if you need any other info, thanks!!

Hello - does this persist if you save, close and reopen Rhino? Can you please run SystemInfo in Rhino and post the results?

-Pascal

I saved, closed, and reopened Rhino as suggested - the problem persists. Here is my SystemInfo:

Rhino 6 SR13 2019-2-27 (Rhino 6, 6.13.19058.371, Git hash:master @ 17cd8b51accbe17dd04b48028f49d5e77a67f17b)
License type: Educational, build 2019-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Andrew Cesarz ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: 4KS21T2

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 2-20-2019 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 419.17

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.6
Shading Language: 4.60 NVIDIA
Driver Date: 2-20-2019
Driver Version: 25.21.14.1917
Maximum Texture size: 32768 x 32768
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 32768 x 32768
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RPC.rhp “RPC”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoBonusTools.rhp “Rhino Bonus Tools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\AnimationTools.rhp “AnimationTools”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_etoui.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk_ui.rhp “Renderer Development Kit UI”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.13.19058.371
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\3dxrhino.rhp “3Dconnexion 3D Mouse”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Displacement.rhp “Displacement”

Hi - does that mean that all the objects that render in that viewport are assigned the Rendered display mode or do some objects behave correctly?

Can you show a screenshot of your Rhino Options > View > Display Modes dialog where the list of display modes is expanded?

Also, can you post a simple file with a few objects that exhibit this behavior?
Thanks,
w

Hi Wim,

When the viewport is set to Rendered display mode, all objects without an individually assigned display mode exhibit this behavior. See attached for an image of my display mode settings. I’ve also attached a simple file that is exhibiting this behavior.

2019-0307_Troubleshooting-File.3dm (4.2 MB)

Based on that screenshot, it appears that your Rendered display has been modified. See how it is dark blue in the list? That means it’s not default.
Do you recall what settings you changed?
If you select it and click the restore defaults button, does the issue go away?

That was my first thought - I did revert to default settings at one point, but the problem persisted.

My modifications to the rendered display setting include surface edge thickness and shadow setting tweaks.

So far, I can’t duplicate the problem on my system.
I’m not sure what to suggest.

I do not see it either - I have the same card, it looks like my driver is just a bit behind yours, I’ll update it and see, but I’d be surprised if that were the problem…

-Pascal

Should I just try uninstalling, restarting my computer, and reinstalling Rhino 6?

Hello - a reboot and running a ‘repair’ on the installation can’t hurt…
(Still looks OK here, with the latest driver)

-Pascal

I just ran a repair on the installation - this did not solve the issue. However, I am unable to replicate the problem in new files. I am also unable to replicate the problem if I copy all the objects from an existing problem file and paste them into a new file.

Interesting.
I wonder if it’s a damaged viewport…

Try this:
In one of the files that exhibits this problem, right click on the 4 Viewports icon twice in a row.
This will replace your existing viewports with new ones.

Then does the problem go away?

Just followed your instructions above - the problem is still there.

Thanks for trying.
I’m out of ideas.
At least you figured out a work-around.
Hopefully something will surface that points to a specific problem that can be fixed eventually.

In the process of opening various files and saving over them, the problem has gone away. Very strange - I did also recently use an older plugin called “Rhino Grow” which I have since removed. Could that have had anything to do with this?

That seems possible if the plug-in was used in that file, though I do not see it loaded in your SystemInfo. and I don’t see any sign of Rhino Grow user data in the file you sent…

-Pascal

I had removed the plug in before my original post, but the plugin was installed around the time that I had been working in all of these files.