Rhino 6 crashing on start up

Hello,
I’ve been dealing with this issue on and off for a while now, and this is the 4 time it’s happened.
I’ve had a constant issue with Rhino crashing on start up, which will happen for no apparent reason, and then go away for no other apparent reason. The previous times this has happened, I’ve done everything I’ve been told by tech support, including:
-Starting it in safe mode and disabling all plug-ins that don’t ship with Rhino. (Doesn’t start)
-Updating graphics card drivers
-Updating Windows
-Contacting Tech support, who haven’t really been able to help, as much as they’ve tried.
-Reinstalling Windows 10, which is a right pain.

Things I’ve done previously to attempt to fix this issue:
-Start up in safe mode and do the plugins thing
-Update Graphics card drivers
-Update Windows 10

Here is the Rhino Debug Message:
RhinoDebugMessages.txt (19.0 KB)

Getting this fixed is quite pressing, so I can’t just wait for it to clear up (Which in and of itself is problematic), and having this issue come back again is definitely not something I want to deal with.
Hopefully something in here can clear this up. Let me know if there’s anything else I should include.

Thank you for any time and help.

Hi -

Can you provide a bit more background to this? It sounds like this is not occurring regularly. Is this 4 times in a week or more like 4 times in 4 years?

I just check with the eMail address that you use on this forum but can’t find any crash reports. Are you getting the crash reporter dialog when you experience a crash?

Please run the Rhino SystemInfo command and copy-paste the result here.
Thanks,
-wim

It’s been happening, as far as I can recollect, since around march. over the summer I’ve experienced this issue around 4 times, this current one being the fourth.

I don’t. The crash occurs without any input on my end beyond starting the program. It always occurs around the same point during the start-up process, right after the pop-up window displays “preparing viewports” as the current process. Below is an image of the moment it crashes.

Rhino System Information, run in Rhino 6 in Safe Mode:

Rhino 6 SR31 2020-11-10 (Rhino 6, 6.31.20315.17001, Git hash:master @ ff08c426b1ef7d3a1c50a01e5e87220a68a9f815)
License type: Educational, build 2020-11-10
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: dgagnon222 ()

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)
Machine name: DESKTOP-AC64AA1

Non-hybrid graphics.
Primary display and OpenGL: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (NVidia) Memory: 8GB, Driver date: 11-6-2020 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 457.30

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: On
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)
Driver Date: 11-6-2020
Driver Version: 27.21.14.5730
Maximum Texture size: n/a
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: n/a
Total Video Memory: 8 GB

Rhino plugins
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.31.20315.17001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 6\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 6.31.20315.17001

Hi!
same problem here. Please HELP!

SystemInfo run in Safe Mode
Rhino 7 SR28 2023-2-27 (Rhino 7, 7.28.23058.03001, Git hash:master @ 4ffc5d7156fbccf2a5d9fcc80e522b3851bc7f6c)
License type: Educational, build 2023-02-27
License details: Cloud Zoo

Windows 11 (10.0.22000 SR0.0) or greater (Physical RAM: 15Gb)

Computer platform: LAPTOP - Unplugged [70% battery remaining] ~508 minutes left

Non-hybrid graphics configuration.
Primary display and OpenGL: AMD Radeon™ Graphics (AMD) Memory: 1GB, Driver date: 9-28-2022 (M-D-Y). OpenGL Ver: (null)
> Integrated accelerated graphics device with 3 adapter port(s)
- Windows Main Display is laptop’s integrated screen or built-in port

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: On
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On
Graphics level being used: OpenGL (null) (primary GPU’s maximum)

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: High

Vendor Name: Unknown
Render version: (null)
Shading Language: (null)
Driver Date: 9-28-2022
Driver Version: 30.0.13002.19003
Maximum Texture size: n/a
Z-Buffer depth: n/a
Maximum Viewport size: 256 x 16843008
Total Video Memory: 512 MB

Rhino plugins that do not ship with Rhino

Rhino plugins that ship with Rhino
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Commands.rhp “Commands” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\WebBrowser.rhp “WebBrowser”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\rdk.rhp “Renderer Development Kit”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoScript.rhp “RhinoScript”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\IdleProcessor.rhp “IdleProcessor”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\RhinoRenderCycles.rhp “Rhino Render” 7.28.23058.3001
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Alerter.rhp “Alerter”
C:\Program Files\Rhino 7\Plug-ins\Toolbars\Toolbars.rhp “Toolbars” 7.28.23058.3001

This is a Rhino 6 thread…

However, it seems that your computer is woefully underpowered, the graphics card of 1Gb does not meet the minimum specs for Rhino (4Gb)

If you can start in Safe Mode, you can try going to Options>View>OpenGL and unchecking GPU Tessellation and moving the slider all the way to the left and see if it will start in normal mode. If so, then keep trying to move the slider to the right one notch at a time and restart Rhino until it starts crashing again, then back off one notch.

If the slider all the way left doesn’t help, it may just not be possible to run Rhino V7 on that machine.

1 Like