Rhino 6 - Blend - Chain edges issue

Hi Guys,

Anyone else encountered issues chaining edges for blends? I have tried everything under the chain edges menu (tangency, curvature, positional). This is especially problematic when attempting to blend from different shape profiles.

The surface is closed and tangent so I’m not sure what the issues is. Any thoughts are welcome.

-Colin

Hi Colin - post a file with your objects, I’ll take a look.

-Pascal

Hi Pascal,

So in my file you can see I got it to work, but it was a real pain. I had to toggle on off chain edges while selecting the surfaces. I also had to make it in parts instead of one continuous blend. In 5 the edges would automatically connect and highlight or you could hold shift to make connect them.

Whatever is going on in 6 is not intuitive and is timely to implement. Hopefully we get an update to address this.

-Colin

Blend.3dm (168.4 KB)

Hi Colin - it worked fine here with chining set to tangency and the angle tolerance upped to 2. Your surfaces’ edges are about 1.25 degrees out of perfect tangency.

-Pascal

1 Like

how do you measure that difference? I tried but I couldn’t

Hi Diego - run the GCon command - the edges in the following locations are G0. The command line will print the tangent difference in degrees.
-wim

1 Like

thanks for that, I had the command line too thinn so I couldn’t saw the line above where it shows the value

1 Like

Thanks Pascal! 6 must have higher standards for chain edges because I haven’t run into this issue on 5.

-Colin

I also found the selection is different in 6. It seams now even with chain edges on, I need to click it in order to highlight the whole shape.

-Colin

Hi Colin - it looks to me like AutoChain is broken… It is correct, and yes, changed, that you need to ask for edge chaining every time (I do not recall exactly why this is but it has to be that way to accommodate some other requested behavior), but if AutoChain is already set to yes, it ought to just go.

Hm - I take that back - autochaining is doing what I expect now…

-Pascal

Ya It’s not the end of the world, I’m happy to have its figured out, but I use blend a lot and toggling every time is a pain and adds on time.

-Colin

@cfjackso - Run the command from this macro-

! _BlendSrf _ChainEdges

-Pascal