I’m using the Rh8 Beta on an M1 Mac and when I import a .ply point cloud I get the menu to choose which scale and so on, but the actual point cloud doesn’t get imported:
Command: Import
Successfully read file “…/231114_Hafenstraße_51_Scan.ply”
Command: SelLast
SelLast selection set is empty.
I found one problem. The importer places the file on the layer “Default” which was locked and disabled/invisible, although another layer had been activated while importing… That’s not how it should work, right?
Which is very odd though, is that the .PLY file gets cropped. The .E57 file is complete…
On the left is the complete .e57 file, on the right the .PLY
Hello, I landed here because I’m having the same problem on an M1 macbook air with what I assume is the latest SR build.
The PLY pointclouds are inserted via the command and when I select-all the bottom log reports they are added to selection. However, the points were not rendering after placement. Further, the gumball wasn’t appearing on select.
Orbiting, I noticed the gumball was actually there, just placed really far away from the model, and the pointcloud would render as long as that gumball was in the view frustum. A lot of these 3D photogrammetry pipelines create garbage distant origins, which is probably the root problem. I think some metal-based ptimization is just breaking the rendering in this case.
Apple macOS Version 14.3.1 (Build 23D60) (Physical RAM: 8GB)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookAir10,1
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
.NET 7.0.0
Metal GPU Family Apple 7
Metal GPU Family Common 3
Metal GPU Family Mac 2
Graphics processors
Apple M1
Color LCD (1440 x 900 @ 60.00Hz)
Rhino 8 SR5 2024-3-12 (Rhino 8, 8.5.24072.13002, Git hash:master @ e3530849b75f00b2b977766a567ae29b055837e9)
License type: Evaluation, build 2024-03-12
License details: Cloud Zoo
Expires on: 4703907-01-08
Apple macOS Version 14.3.1 (Build 23D60) (Physical RAM: 8GB)
Mac Model Identifier: MacBookAir10,1
Language: en-US (MacOS default)
.NET 7.0.0
Metal GPU Family Apple 7
Metal GPU Family Common 3
Metal GPU Family Mac 2
Graphics processors
Apple M1
Color LCD (1440 x 900 @ 60.00Hz)
Reading through this thread, it looks like quite a few things are being discussed, and from your post, I’m not sure what the problem is. Please post or upload the PLY file so there’s something to check here.
-wim
Of course! Here’s a download link. The link expires in 3 days and units are in meters.
RE the thread, this might be a different issue, but same symptom and platform.
I can see on MacOS Rhino 8, point clouds get unexpectedly culled if the PLY origin is far away and outside the view frustum. After importing, it appears like the point cloud didn’t load into the scene, similar to OP’s description.
The linked file should have the problem, I’d expect it only on the metal renderer, because the issue isn’t there in rhino 7 on this machine.
For now I fixed the rendering issue by moving all PLY points towards the origin using python.