Retaining joined meshes texture coordinates - how?

I have 2 mesh objects with custom planar mapping applied to each of them (same material).
When I join them, the mapping gets messed up. How do I make the resulting mesh vertices to remember the original texture coordinates?

Or - how to embed/bake the custom texture coordinates applied via mapping widget to the mesh vertices?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you

Answering my own question for now - the workaround I found is to export the meshes to *.obj format and bring them back - the texture coordinates are ā€˜baked inā€™ then.
I wonder if there is a way in Rhino to do it without resorting to this trickā€¦

I donā€™t think there is but agree it would be useful. @andy do you know?

Hi @BrianJ, I think it would make sense to be a sticky option with ExtractRenderMesh commandā€¦ at least I would find it very useful and logical. thanks

Agreedā€¦ I filed this feature request for future reference http://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-29942

great - thanks Brian

Any progress on this issue? Rhino 7, but still the same problem.

Hello - you can check the bug track item linked above to track progress, if any, on any public bugā€¦ this one seems not to have been addressed yetā€¦

-Pascal

Bump, we constantly run into problems with this, when extracting render meshes from multiple objects that have custom UV mapping and joining them into one, the mapping gets all messed up. Workaround with having to export them as OBJ and import back as the only way to have UVā€™s baked and join properly is cumbersome. A new command or perhaps just an option in -ExtractRenderMesh to ā€œbakeā€ the MapUVs (just like Rhino does it for OBJ export) would be very helpful to have. Thanks

2 Likes

Just adding my voice here. Joining meshes messes up original texture coordinates, still having to export to obj and import back in which is pretty cumbersome. I know Rhino isnā€™t blender, but being able to join meshes would be really useful.

A few years on now and still I canā€™t join two meshes and not mess up the texture mappings with custom coordinates. Is there any hope here for Rhino 8? Thanks! John.

tex

1 Like