Rendering software for jewellery design

If you can afford it, you could switch from Maxwell to Arnold, for that extra je-ne-sais-quoi ; ) but then, your two-hour Maxwell samples (without/with Photoshop) look really excellent! It works like a real camera and takes no time to set up, which makes is super intuitive for any creative worth their salt in my view.

Low-end GPUs such as Nvidia’s GEFORCE GTX 1080 but also several GPU-based renderers fall still short with anisotropy, dispersion, sub-surface scattering and caustics (think pearls, opal, topaz); probably due to the floating-point computation shortcuts employed to gain that extra speed. A stock Intel i9-7980xe in a cheap rack/case, for example, makes a good workstation-cum-rendernode, with a Cinebench R15 score of 3141, compared to the classic single Xeon solution.

Yep. Fully agree.

Too often nowadays, particularly trainees/students hanker for one-click-solutions or downloadable presets; not knowing how a camera works, not wanting to spend time in a real photo studio to learn about lighting, not understanding why white gold looks different than palladium. The desire for “easy shortcuts” is rampant. Not professional. Entitled millennialism.

Yes, that is what I say, too.
One should understand photography, at least basic things, to be able to use “imaginary camera” (= rendering sw) to achieve good renderings. I remember some 10y ago when we start to use render sw for rendering jewerly and show it to our photographer, he said that it is good tool to examine envirnoment - what it does with final image. But he instantly saw rendering-envirnoment as his studio-tant and asked me to rotate it left/right, add lights… to see efects on jewlery - he knew his job.
And usually there is no one-click solution. We usualy need 2-4 rendered images (with different envirnoment setting) combined into one to get acceptable result. But sometiems for some simple items one image is enough but still proper envirnoment has to be set up…

3 Likes

And the verdict is out! OP has spoken : )

@Lana1 if you don’t mind, what did you like about @Lagom 's render sample compared to others posted? I think your feedback would be appreciated by everyone here. :slight_smile::slight_smile:

I don’t do tutorials for individuals, but if you decide for a software, there are good forums and many straightforward videos available for beginners with all render software vendors. Also, when using Rhino you find many knowledgeable users under the rendering tag that use high quality render software or are in the jewelry business.

Also, you can find very good online tutorials about studio photography and lighting, if you can’t learn the essentials in a real photo studio, which would be the best and fastest way.

Well, there can’t really be a verdict, because it entirely depends on the type of work and client base.

Is a quarter horse “better” than an arabian? Depends entirely on the owner’s requirements.

Agree that it all depends on type of work and clients but, at least it seems clear what the OP likes.

That of course might change with feedback from client, but for now it’s one road paved. Next is learning to recreate the rendering.

Not much is needed, as described above regarding the ring/flower/plate image.

You can find very good 3D plants and flowers with superb textures at bentanji or VIZPARK, for example; or home accessories at model + model.

Hey am trying to render a flat piece of charm,am not able to get the shinyness which white gold shows can anyone help

i would recommend to make one model including the necklace to have the same reflection in both. the composite picture reveals itself pretty strong and make it look like its cut out through the missing reflection. do you also intend the flat part surrounding the text to be white gold? in any case it needs something to reflect. also the reflection of the soft light you already have in the text seems slightly too soft, but maybe somebody else can lend an eye more.

Thanks for the feedback, i can share my model if u can show me an output, the charm is great when its at an angle, but looks pretty bad as shown above when i have to show the top view

that probably explains why it looks composited, in case you already have this as one model then just be sure to apply the same emap to it all and place it accordingly. i am sure it will look as you said much better already. you can share the model of course and i can try, but i cant promise it will look any better then.

We at the forums always like sharing of models - please do attach (:

sending the charm am not worried about the chainlll.3dm (11.4 MB)

i would fillet the text very slightly before you mesh it. also the mesh might need some rework, the text is facetted in big chunks while other parts are very fine generally a bit problematic to make a nice render. maybe you can post the original file, otherwise try what i suggested. in rhino for windows you may have something like ApplyEdgeSoftening i believe, if you decide to render this in rhino that might help.

I wished there were circular planar lighting other than the rectangular. Need some
adjusting of the light intensity, right now looks blown out…
Added extra lights so it reflects in the corners.

lll_some_lights.3dm (11.5 MB)

A very small cage edit to the flat surface will create just enough of a bow to make the “flat mirror effect” go away. Give that disk just a very very slight dome to it for the render.

ok, wil give it a shot and share my results

small fillets on the edges will work some miracles for you as well.

If you use a surface behind the letters, you could add a little color to bring them out

1 Like