Rendering software for jewellery design

Hi All,

First time posting up here,

I’m in need your advise on how do I get a better looking diamond then the stocked one from RhinoGold 6.5.

Do I need to get a better rendering software for this? Many thanks.

Also, does anyone have any recommendation as to how I can get a very high res (meaning very sharp) images. Currently we have been rendering using 1000 passes. is this too little or too much or is the standard? Thanks in advance.

Hi
According to my experience left image is not pure render, it is post processed (in Photoshop).
To get sharp details (= sharp reflections and refractions) you need to use sharp background (black and white areas, not much gradient areas).

I’m not sure if you mean when you say detailed,
is something like below detailed?
The example you had seemed to have different cut in the back side.

I’d actually want to know best way to add one good reflection in the front center circular surface.
kind of looks flat now…

What render engine did you use here?

Cycles.

I don’t want to rotate the hdri as the reflection seems ok for other surfaces.
Just getting a reflection shown in the front.

Was trying to add lighting to reflect off the surface, but was looking if there are easier approach.

A light might be the easiest way, either area or linear. If you want to make it comparable to the ring you may want to add some socket for the stones to sit in. That will give some extra definition as well.

one of wish is to have lighting with different shapes.
At least a circular flat would be nice. Free drawn planar lighting would be great.

Hi Radovan,

Much appreciated, I have a feeling that it was done in Photoshop Post Production. This is something I would like to achieve. I think you have the right Idea, about the Sharp details we need a sharp background, can you just explain to me how can I get this sharp background? is this from Rhino?

Hi

In the attachment is environment hdr image - top half is sharp one, bottom
is soft one.
Top one will give more sharp contours/reflection then bottom one which is
good for gemstones.
You have to experiment with environment to get most closest result you want
and then if necessary postproces it in photoshop.

Radovan

2 Likes

Radovan! Thanks I think you’ve have given me an idea on how I could achieve a better diamond. Since we have to use a sharp environment, I think it would be best if we used a HDRI environment of the sunny blue skys.

I’ll give this a go and post back the results.

BTW I found out the answer in another Post, rendering in PNG is way better then in .JPG there is less distortion and noise on the product, and the shadows and gradient appears more smoother.

Hi guys, I have been trying to render this piece, with White marquise diamonds, however it keeps on coming up very dark and black. how can I get this to a white Brilliant stone?

1. I’ve tried photoshop with Levels and even curves - no luck
  2. Have tried to lift the stone slight above the mount so that its not touching - no luck
  3. Even made holes in the back of the mount and put lights behind and the front. - still the same

This is so strange that I can’t get a pure white brilliant diamond.

Hi Johan

• you can also use some additional lights (experiment with size and
    brightness) in the environment if it will help to produce more sparkling
    result
  • for rendering gemstones u use different environment than for metal
  • if jewelry has many gemstones and you want all stones to shine, it will
    be necessary to make few renders of gemstones with different environment
    (rotate environment, add/remove lights or dark reflecting areas) so in one
    render will give some stones shiny while other render will give other set
    of stones shiny…
  • than u use photoshop to merge rendered images into one

Radovan

If you email me 3dm file I can give it a try.
I guess it may look like this

but I do not guarantee since I have not seen your gemstone (proportions/angles…)

Hello everyone,

first post for me in this forum so some details about my intentions/background:
20 years working as a goldsmith for mid to high-end jewellery in germany.

We use Rhino at work for 3D-print since R3 and for the last couple of years outsourcend renderings if need be.
Now, after the upgrade to R6 my master asked if there may be a quick way to render “not perfect but usable” Pictures for customers.

So i tried out some trail-render engines until my brain noticed a familiar name in Rhinos itself: Cycles.
I used to privately play around with Blender a while back and knew what Cycles is capable of so i gave it a try.
The results where actually way better than i had anticipated with just one detail bugging me:
The missing dispersion (aka fire) for Diamonds.

Thanks to this thread i made my own environments and kept "trial and error"ing.

A few results i’d like to share:

Pure render, no dispersion:

pure render with added dispersion (HDR background):

Shopped with added Picture of a real Diamond from our Workshop in the upper right corner(made with my phone so don’t judge it :wink: ) :

Playing around a bit:

I kinda like the results im getting fast and simple without a lot of work(Brasil)

Thanks a lot for the input and happy CADing y’all

:tophat:

1 Like

I am glad you get usable results. I suppose I could do a simple dispersion-simulating material in a separate plug-in soonish. Enjoy Raytraced.

1 Like

That would simply be awesome! I mean it’s not like Cycles can’t do that properly.
I am enjoying it indeed. Thanks for all the hard work and passion you’re giving Cycles!

Hi Nathan, are you going to implement a full-fledged Cycles into Rhino 6 eventually? I’m thinking mainly about further material options - I remember you used Grasshopper as a graph material editor. Was it ever available to public?

Jonas

Open https://github.com/mcneel/RhinoCycles/blob/rhino-6.0/conversion/rhino_full_shader.gh in Grasshopper and use the Install button when Grasshopper tells you unknown components were found. The necessary plug-in is since Thursday available through Yak, our plug-in package management system by @will.

Use TestShowPrivateContent to get accesd to the Cycles XML material.

2 Likes