Rendered & Raytraced

Hmm, got a link for that?

using CPU Arctic doesn’t seem to display correct either,

The Cycles settings are used only in Raytraced, they don’t do anything in any of the other display modes.

yes displays same whether using CPU or GPU :frowning:

For the non-Raytraced mode we need the help of @jeff, @DavidEranen and @stevebaer

The OSX CUDA driver page to use is https://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

A web driver version is at https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/96651/en-us, but I don’t know if it is the latest… -> maybe https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/127670/en-us

TBH this sounds all way to complicated for the regular user. Finding and installing drivers on Windows machines is much easier :confused:

1 Like

yep, when I fist installed High Sierra I regretted it the very next day :frowning:

Pen mode displays like this

Well, the webdriver path is a fail, too. The installer claims incompatibility. I don’t know how I can get CUDA support to work then :confused:

For now I suppose Nvidia GPU users on Mac should just stick to CPU, even if they magically managed to enable CUDA support…

Assigning this to @jeff to further investigate the other display mode problems you have.

Hi @milezee

Pen mode and Arctic mode are two completely different kinds of modes… Arctic mode is closer to a Rendered mode… What does your “Rendered” mode look like using the same example and settings?

Thanks,
-Jeff

Hi Jeff, rendered mode looks more like what I’d expect Arctic display mode to be ? :confused:

If that is with an empty model and just a box added it’ll look the same since the default material is an almost-white, and further has pretty much the same settings as Arctic.

Add a material to the box, say a red plaster, or a chrome metal. You should now see the difference between Rendered and Arctic.

Edit: ah, your earlier arctic is obviously wrong…

@nathanletwory He already did that

Look up further in the post…Arctic mode just produces a wireframe box.

Yes, I actually knew, I just had forgotten.

yep Arctic just turns the grid lines white and displays what looks like wireframe

@milezee,

This is very odd indeed…

Please try resetting Arcitic mode’s defaults…

and see if it makes any difference… I notice in your image that “Flat shading” is also checked… What happens if you uncheck that? Does the Rendered mode still look correct?

-J

@jeff @nathanletwory ok resetting to default display modes seems to get most working as expected, there is still ‘confusion’ when switching between Arctic & Raytraced, notice in the screenshot attached that the right hand side bar is showing Arctic, but the right click drop down from the viewport is showing Raytraced, its like they are working independently if that makes sense
edit- yep, the display modes of Arctic and Raytraced are mixed up somehow

I think you’re just seeing the poor interaction between the side bar and the setting/changing of a view’s display mode.

For now, I would only rely on what the dropdown view menu shows you, as that is what the view is referring to… The side bar gets notified when a view’s mode changes, and then updates accordingly…and that is probably not working 100% on the Mac version at the moment.

But my current concern at the moment is whether your view modes are working correctly… So without using the side bar (or even looking at it)… Cycle through all display modes and see if you get the expected results.

Thanks,
-Jeff

P.S. I’m also concerned why resetting the defaults “fixed” what ever it was that was broken… Have you been using older versions of Mac Rhino? Or is this the first installation of Mac Rhino that you’re using?

yeh all seem to be displaying as expected now :slight_smile:
have V5.5 installed and V6 Wip latest release

still getting instant crash when switching to raytraced :open_mouth: