Render size

I have a drawing that needs to be at least 100x90 cm after rendering. I am using Rhino 7.6, is there a way to render smaller but have the resolution necessary to get that size and definition in Photoshop?

try it over the dpi value

Meaning higher dpi and smaller pixel dimensions ?

yes- bigger pixels → smaller render :slight_smile:

Thanks HugoIII, I tried that, it renders faster but when bumping up the size in Photoshop the resolution is not that great.

Hi Joe - I would decide how may pixels you need in each direction and render that, regardless of dpi.

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,
I tried minimum dpi and default window size and found the image rendered is larger than the reverse, more dpi, more pixels.
Thanks

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Hello - 96 dpi = 1/2.54 * 96 = 37.8 px per cm. so make your image 3780 pixels wide.

72 dpi = 1/2.54 * 72 = 28.3 px per cm, so make your image 2830 pixels wide.

And so on. You need to decide how many pixels you want, is all. Make it oversize and then resample down in PhotoShop if it is too dense.

?

-Pascal

Hi,
OK, thanks again.

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Hello again Pascal,
That works well. Another question is when rendering, how many passes is optimal for a high quality image for printing?
Thanks
Joe

Hi Joe -

That is 100% up to you - only you decide what is good and what is bad.
Note that, with a denoiser, you can bring the number of passes down a lot. Use the PackageManager to install a denoiser for your system.
-wim

OK, thanks.
Joe

Hi Wim,
One other question, is there a limit on the size that a drawing can be rendered? For example, is 10000 pixels or more on each dimension too much?
Thanks
Joe

Hi -

Yes, but it depends on your hardware. There is no fixed limit.

I’d say so, yes.
-wim

Hi,
If that is the case, is there a method that allows for a hi-res image other than another renderer, my machine is an i9 Mac with a Rad Pro 580X 8 Go graphic card? In spite of some problems where Rhino crashes the image does render.
Joe