Remove duplicate geometries

For some reason the Shapefile I’m using in the Meerkat plugin, have some duplicate informations. Which result in overlapping geometries when baked. Seems quite impossible to clean the data list, so the only option I see is to use a component/plugin which removes overlapping geomteries… anyone know ?

There’s (was) a similar thread in the old GH Forum. Very challenging issue (in general) since breps are not points or lines for testing for “equality”. If you are interested I’ll try to find my approach(?) provided at the time (but in fact there’s no 100% working solution for any case).

For instance you can test for equal N of faces + edges + volume + face area + vertices + you name it … but still … it’s 1M miles away from really finding duplicate breps.

Hey @billytalent.exe, it’s really bad form (and annoying) to always expect a personal invitation to post your model/code please!

Are the duplicates in the original Rhino model? Or a result of using (or misusing) plugins? If the latter, it’s better to fix that problem instead of massaging erroneous results.

hmmm I must say I’m new to grasshopper, and I’m not sure to understand everything. But you have something intersting here, and its maybe a part of the solution.

Duplicated buildings shared the same verticies coordinates (see image), Is there a way to call out similar virticies, find their path (or index) and remove them from the list ?

Sorry about that, like I said I’m new here. And I doubt this would be helpfull if I join the .gh file or rhino because th .gh file is link to a shapefile from which I extract metadata (informations)3D_site_Halles_v2.3dm (16.6 MB)
3D_site_analysis_V1.gh (29.6 KB)

I give up! Can’t explain it over and over every day to people who don’t bother to read the forum a little bit before their first post, and who believe they know better about what is relevant to finding solutions.

Good luck.

… geez… calm down here. First time I’m posting in a forum don’t even know how its working and what to read…

1 Like

Yeah, yeah, yeah. That seems to happen a dozen times a day here (maybe less) and it is so boring.

Tip: learn how to internalize data. Ciao.

1 Like

It’s boring to us old-timers who see it twelve times a day, but it’s entirely new for every first poster. We’ve had the missing-referenced-data problem since forever and actually when you think about it it’s more of a bug in the *.gh file format than the fault of new users.

Everyone is allowed to not know something and make at least one mistake before being judged, the problem is the small number of judges vs. the large number of ‘first offenders’.

14 Likes

Well … hope dies last for sure.

Anyway that’s the old thread in the old Forum in the old days that I had in mind (but the solution is 1M miles away from some really effective one [A Jack for all trades, that is, for every case … etc etc] NOR is written having big N of breps in mind NOR …

1 Like

I found Seldup command in rhino… works fine. Wonder if there is option/component in gh

1 Like

I know David, and I’m sorry for being so touchy and impatient about this. McNeel employees are paid to grin and bear it while the rest of us are here for fun. Many of the volunteer old-timers handle it more gracefully than I do by just ignoring these threads completely. Some are very patient at re-explaining the same few things over and over. Where I lose it is when the new person tries to argue that posting the GH model and/or geometry isn’t relevant, when in fact, they have no idea what is relevant!

Maybe there should be some kind of required test to prove that new people have read the page about How to ask effective questions before being allowed to post on the forum?

By the way, it’s not ideal that the primary link to that page from here lands at the bottom (end) instead of the top (beginning) of the page. Also, in item #3 of that list ( 3. Attach minimal versions of all the relevant files), there is a line on the old forum that is missing from the new forum:

It is especially a good idea to post files that don’t require any non-standard components if at all possible. Not everyone has Kangaroo or Hoopsnake or Geco installed so if your file relies on those components, it might not open correctly elsewhere.

Cheers.

Yeah I was annoyed by that too, just realised I could delete those ‘closed’ auto responses and now the page opens properly I think.

True about the plug-ins, I left it out because I was hopeful that we’d have the most common plug-ins available via Yak soon, but the testing phase has lasted longer than I thought.

Hello
here a little example considering the geometry are the same so they have almost same bounding box

I used a Point group to group center of bounding box, choose the first of each group
=> 201 brep to 136 brep.
Hope it helps
suppress duplicate.gh (16.0 KB)

3 Likes

I will give it a try ! thanks Laurent

that one is a clever use of pointgroup

Hi Laurent (or anyone else on this string),
This looks like a trick that could be useful for a grouping challenge I am working on. Trying to group lines based on a shared endpoint (rather than bbox center). The Point
Groups gives the right groups, but I am unsure how to then use that list to select the groups of lines. Any suggestions?
Eventually, I want to pipe and boolean the groups of lines.

Thank you,
Richard
line group question_2.gh (11.6 KB)

You can group like that !

Thank you, Laurent. That looks like just what I need. However, I cannot see the whole definition :frowning: Can you post the updated .gh file?

• Richard

I didn’t keep it, on the right it is just line coloring with Human plugin and a color wheel.