Remesh object for 3d print

hi. I’ve got this model of a plain that i must 3Dprint. However, I can’t seem to manage to prepare the file (optimise the mesh). The models are originally in *.igs or *.stp thus exported to obj or dae and imported in rhini. I attempted in gh and quad mesh in rhino but didnt help much, if anything it made it heavier. I did think about reducing the mesh resolution but I’m afraid itll become too rough.

Can anyone help me out with it?

Hello- we will help if we can but we need more information and a Rhino file. Please post here or send to tech@mcneel.com, with a link to this topic in your comments.

-Pascal

I’m trying to upload the file but i keep getting an error with the upload. I posted a screenshot in the meantime i figure out the upload
@pascal I uploaded a wetransfer link instead

Hello - the file is rather different from the one in your image.

-Pascal

So these were NURBS models? And you…exported them to a mesh format? WHY? You can just Mesh them in Rhino.

Trying to fix up a mesh model someone else made to 3D print it is an arduous task, those models are nothing close to a single nice closed object. It’s not fun if it’s a NURBS model either, but if you have NURBS it’s probably better to start with that.

I would try Meshmixer. The Meshmixer is free mesh cleaner and mesh editor (similar to ZBrush). RhinoMESH plugin ($1000) also cleans up meshes.

@JimCarruthers as i said, originally the models were in either ign or stp, and i exported them to rhino. I also tried going through autodesk fusion 360 and autocad for the export but is basically a set of surfaces making the object. I dont have an experience with such models yet.

Well if you have NURBS then work with those. These models aren’t even closed up into solids you can print, so that requires some basic Rhino knowledge. Like are you working for a 3D printing place and were asked to print these models? What is going on? 'Cause trying to fix some random models you got somewhere to 3D print is a complete waste of time unless you’re getting paid by the hour, the people who made the models should have made them right.

I know they arent closed models. It’s due to it being modelled in Solidworks or something similar, it is originally n step file as i said.

If they were made in Solidworks, odds are the bits would be closed solids. But you need to build surfaces to fill in the gigantic openings, boolean or split and trim the extra bits sticking off the fuselages into one shape, and Join the works up. Then Mesh it.

You should try to import the step file directly into Rhino instead of converting to obj first.