Red screen with WIP6 for mac

I can report that I am also seeing the same issue in the latest WIP.
It’s been an issue for the last few WIP. Just never reported.
Just starting from a blank document and doing the same thing seen in Kev R’s movie produces the same results.
Version 6 WIP (6.12.18317.12076, 2018-11-13)

My system info.

Rhino 6 SR12 2018-11-13 (Public Build, 6.12.18317.12076, Git hash:master @ 069b1aed33ba5c9e6b04dd9e509ff8509a57719d)
Licence type: Beta, build 2018-11-13
License details: Cloud Zoo. In use by: Jason Bartley ()
Expires on: 2018-12-28

Apple Intel 64-bit macOS Version 10.14.1 (Build 18B75) (Physical RAM: 32Gb)
Machine name: Jason’s MacBook Pro
Language: en-US (MacOS default)

AMD Radeon Pro 560X OpenGL Engine (OpenGL ver:4.1 ATI-2.2.8)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: Linear
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: Height

Vendor Name: ATI Technologies Inc.
Render version: 4.1
Shading Language: 4.10
Driver Date: (null)
Driver Version: (null)
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 4 GB
Displays: LG Ultra HD (255dpi 2x), Color LCD (258dpi 2x)
Screen size: 3008 x 1692, 1680 x 1050

USB devices
Western Digital: My Passport 25E3
Other World Computing: OWC Thunderbolt 3 Audio Device
Western Digital: My Passport 25E3
Logitech: USB Receiver
EPSON: USB2.0 MFP(Hi-Speed)
Apple Inc.: iBridge DFR brightness
Apple Inc.: iBridge Display
Apple Inc.: Apple Internal Keyboard / Trackpad
Apple: Headset
Apple Inc.: iBridge ALS
Apple Inc.: iBridge FaceTime HD Camera (Built-in)
Apple Inc.: iBridge

Bluetooth devices
Broadcom: Magic Keyboard with Numeric Keypad
Broadcom: Magic Trackpad 2

Third party kernel extensions
com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.7) no UUID

Third party plugins
/usr/lib/log/liblog_network.dylib

Rhino plugins
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoCycles.rhp “RhinoCycles” 6.12.18317.12076
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/NamedSnapshots.rhp “Snapshots” 6.12.18317.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/GrasshopperPlugin.rhp “Grasshopper” 6.12.18317.12076
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/PanelingTools.rhp “PanelingTools” 6.12.18317.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/Commands.rhp “Commands” 6.12.18317.12076
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhMaterialEditor.framework “Renderer Development Kit” 6.12.18317.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RDK_EtoUI.rhp “RDK_EtoUI” 6.12.18317.12076
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Displacement.rhp “Displacement” 6.12.18317.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/Alerter.rhp “Alerter” 6.12.18317.1002
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/Frameworks/RhCore.framework/Resources/ManagedPlugIns/RhinoDLR_Python.rhp “IronPython” 5.1.2015.132
/Applications/RhinoWIP.app/Contents/PlugIns/RhinoRender.rhp “Rhino Render” 6.12.18317.1002

Similar thing here, but with black windows. [reported on several other threads ]
I’d guess dark mode produce the same bug in black which light mode show in red.

thanks a lot
Akash

Mine was red in dark mode.

Then I guessed wrong, sorry for that.
From a user perspective it defiantly looks like the same problem manifesting in Red or black.

thanks a lot
Akash

Hi Nathan,

I too have been having the same problem for months now. I’ve given the system info to the folks at Rhino but am not aware of a solution yet?

@Richard_Thomas, as far as I know we haven’t found a fix yet.

But we’ll let this forum know when we do.

FYI only, this has been logged in RH-49555.

I get the red screen when the Rhino programme window is not maximised.

Might this be key to the problem?

Does that mean that you don’t get the red screen when the Rhino is maximized?

I get I sometimes when closing Rhino - four empty red viewports show up for a second and then disappears and Rhino closes.

Philip

It did on this occasion but have had it where a few of the viewports will not render anything else but full red.

I thought you might have fixed it and it was just present when not maximised?

Might be a full viewport bug to sort… I will pst example when it happens again.

We think we’ve made some progress on the red viewports issue in the latest RhinoWIP. Please give it a try and let us know if you still see red.

Hi, I’ve been having the issue today, When I only have one viewport up and try to switch to another single viewport (ex perspective to front) it will be red. However, if I switch to the 4 viewport layout and the double click the viewport name that resides in whichever viewport frame it will switch to that single viewport normally.

So I can work around it, but it still seems to be an occasional issue.

We have committed more fixes to address red viewports in the latest RhinoWIP. We doubt that we’ve got all of them, but please test with the latest build and report them as you see them. Thanks again.

Still seeing them Dan

Ok. Are you seeing red all over or just in specific circumstances? Can you please post your SystemInfo?

Hi Dan,

Sorry for the delayed response.

Funny question!

I see it often and Im using 2 different Macs. 1-27” iMac 2013 and a 15” MacBook Pro 2015. There’s no way to predict when it will happen or which viewport?

Here is the system info you requested.

Best,

Richard

Systeminfo3_7.txt (3.06 KB)

Thanks for the system info @Richard_Thomas.

Anti-alias mode: 8x

Are the red viewports less frequent if you ratchet down the anti-aliasing to something like 2x? (Rhinoceros > Preferences > OpenGL)?

Please let us know if you can reliably reproduce the issue.

I’ll give it a try!

Thanks Dan

Still getting the red screens here also. Tried changing my anti-ailasing from 4x to 2x - didn’t seem to make a difference.

SystemInfo.txt (2.9 KB)

Agree with Richard here, cant really predict when it’s going to happen.

-Kevin