Rebuild Surface for uniform pattern distribution

Hello,

I obtained the following surface from a set of scanned data using Geomagic Design X. Surface.igs (322.3 KB)

I was trying to morph a hex pattern on the extracted surface and got the following result

The pattern seems so tight and distorted around the highlighted area. I have tried to rebuild the surface but still the same result. Is there a way that we can evenly morph a pattern onto a surface like this? Some method to evenly distribute the pattern evenly on the surface and achieve something the image?

Thank You and I have attached the code.

(I used ‘CreateUVCrv’ command in Rhino to extract a planar surface and then get the pattern on it.)

Experiment.gh (17.7 KB)

Hello,

some problems I see:

• your initial surface is unclean. (just one surface, algorithmic created surface)
    -> rebuild it from scratch, use more surfaces, use less controlpoints per surface patch

• your shape is pretty undefined, its will look weird from some perspectives anyways (Is it a knee?)
    -> define and abstract the shape, this will simplify mapping

• you are using Lunchbox
    -> Lunchbox is nice for some first tries. But in my experience it limits you quite often
    -> instead use curves, create the hex from the curves, project them on your new brep
    -> offset from them, create a solid and fillet it. Stay with surfaces if possible

• don’t expect easy solutions
    -> I made many hexpatterns in automotive. Its definitely something to spend days if not weeks on, at least if you want to have it nice. You can immediately tell if its a crappy Sub-D 30 minutes solution or some well made surface pattern.

• don’t underestimate manual mapping
    -> many problems can also be solved by manual tweaking. Its a bit frown upon, but sometimes if a morph didn’t work well, you can always bake it, modify it and load it back in

3 Likes

Hello,

Those are some interesting points you have mentioned, thank you. As I am still learning and not too proficient is it alright if you point towards some tutorials about rebuilding surfaces. Also this is just a project to learn, its actually a section of palm I got from the web. It looked like a complex shape so was just trying to wrap a pattern around. It seems to work better for a tubular mesh than something complex like this. There are some really good points and I will be using them to explore how I can finess the pattern. If I have further questions I hope I can continue asking?

Thank you again.