Real life product design examples made in Rhino

No its actually not, actually the price is decoupled from its value nowadays. If you are in a billion dollar buisness, the price tag is not as relevant as for us individuals. The idea is to get the best tool for the job, not the best budget tool. Rhino will still exist, just as Icem will. Its just that most money will be spend on Autodesk products then. Anyway this is not what I’m saying. Its just good news, because it pushes the boundaries even further.

Also note that pricing is mostly a marketing strategy by the marketing department and is not related to the actual pratice of software development. Accounting for all the acquisitions done by Autodesk, all the tech and IP included in these software packages, one cannot judge the real value based on the market price.
That goes without saying that obviously Alias is cathered towards high-end. In a more benevolent world more people and business sectors would have had access to these tools and that’s where the price argument comes into play.

E: Few users capable of using such tools thanks to their training (and low market demand for its special solutions, compared to your average solid modeller) means the price has to be increased for business continuation and correspondingly, the high development costs.

2 Likes

Well kinda, but in the case of “high end” software, the purpose of the high price is to pay for the sales people needed to sell into such enterprises–so it’s marketing driven but it’s a little unfair to say it’s a cynical marketing strategy. McNeel have NO sales staff, it’s all on the resellers and the customers. Suppose it was actually possible to convince some giant car company to actually drop Alias for Rhino instead of random people in the design and production chain buying a seat or two or 50 here and there…would the number of trips and meetings that would take be worth anyone’s time at $995 a seat? Not even close, no.

Agree to disagree, the so called “high end” software also have resellers and partners to whom they do not pay. These resellers have to work hard to sell these overpriced software and are allowed a huge margin of discount (upto 75%). So in fact this “high end” pricy software could be cheaper if you negotiate it properly.

Also the statement that McNeel have not sales people is kinda wrong. I receive regularly emails from Bob and his Daughter or Wife I don’t know, also Jody Mills. (Who’s name reminds me of the show Supernatural :smiley: that’s why I remember it)

1 Like

That means 20 times the price for a one year subscription, without any ownership of the software.

They are coming after grashopper’s niche of all the fancy grills and surface patterns…

Any comparison between these two makes no sense at all.

Yeah, I agree.
It just makes sense to illustrate the differences.

Umm but that’s exactly what I’m saying. It costs a ton to sell to enterprises–or at least that’s the traditional model. There’s not enough profit in selling Rhino to even bother to try–in the US market from V1 cut-price resellers made it unprofitable to spend any time trying to sell to anyone, actually.

No, the ton of the money don’t go for marketing as much as it goes for development and subsidiary company acquisitions. (also personal gain of the high-management :wink: )
These companies release every year.

Not to mention the support.

(to be clear, I worked as Dassault Systemes consultant for over 2 years in a reseller partner company)

1 Like

The list prices are for “consumers” only, that is almost allways true in business.
But if you are a small design studio, good luck asking for a large discount.

it happens

Ikeya Formula IF-02RDS, Aspark Owl and a few other cars were designed with Rhino by a Japanese guy of “Ash institute”.

https://ash-institute.cats.st/works_aspark_owl.htm

1 Like

Realistically in the 10 to 20 % range though…

you know actually smaller companies may get higher discount because if you don’t reduce the price it becomes too heavy for their budget.

Mid-sized companies are screwed the most.

1 Like

This is such an obsolete model. The idea of a company putting any effort so a customer ‘drops’ another tool is so lame, and such a waste of energy. If a company is buying seats of Rhino why would McNeel care if they are or aren’t also buying and using other tools?

Also when it comes to design and surfacing, the Automotive field is so small it’s such a waste of time to go after it, unless you are selling well (high) priced services. Or licenses of anything priced like Alias.

I’m sure Rhino is selling more seats on their online store/resale network without much marketing effort in the time it takes them to fly to one of those bullshit meetings, than the number of seats that they would sell at that meeting, let alone 5 meetings after that.

The entire product design industry requiring high quality modeling/surfacing is tiny. The Automotive subset is even tinier. This is why I’m all for these beautiful wishes of better class A tools, but realistically I have zero expectations McNeel will ever do anything here, and I find it quite reasonable move for them to simply ignore all this, as a fiscally responsible move.

A plug-in would be nice. Speaking of that, would it be possible to run VSR in a RhinoCompute or RhinoInside sort of hack?

G

2 Likes

Truth has been spoken. There are more architects in medium-large city than automotive body designers worldwide.

3 Likes

That is also quite a broader term than an automotive body designer

These two are not comparable.

I thing you are right. There are probably more architects in my small-city/large-town of Framingham Massachusetts (USA), than automotive designers in the entire world.

2 Likes

Addressable market is the comparison we are making. In that sense I think they are comparable.