Re-Join surfaces and remove Tangent edge

Hi,
Scenario:
Draw a Rectangle and make a fillet on 1 edge.
→ Extrude the Rectangle by X → Cap command = closed Poly with 15 Edges & 7 surfaces
→ Duplicate Reactangle → move duplicate by X → Loft between and Cap command = Closed Poly with 9 Edges and 5 surfaces

Question: Is it possible to remove the tangent edges end rejoin the 3 surfaces that includes the fillet back to one after extruding.

Lofted (right):

Extruded (Wrong):

1. Explode
  2. untrim
  3. join

Hi David -

Yes, you can use the MergeSrf on those.

Question: what makes that wrong? Downstream processes might have issues with surfaces that are not split at their tangents.
-wim

@farouk.serragedine
Does not understand what untrim do in this case

@wim
mergesrf does not seem to work for me. Creates wiered surfaces

Edit: mergesurf with radi = 0 works. thank you

I need 4/5 or 6 sided Polysurfaces for later tasks with an thrid party plugin. I have to split my geometry by hand into pieces that are suiteable for post processing.

Hi David - if you set UseExtrusions to make polysurfaces and ExtrudeCrv to SplitAtTangents=No, you should get what you need here from extrusing.

-Pascal

1 Like

Thank you Pascal.

That helped kind of… I tried to rebuild the surfaces but rhino kept splitting the surfaces and after i mergesrf them the srf stopped overlapping and booleansplit didnt work. Spent 8 Hours yesterday on the model and didnt get it to work.
Today in started from zero and it worked without an Issue.

I drawn the conclusion that remodelling already cut objects is a pain and i startet to save my work steps in layers… Hope this will work in future as well :).