Raytraced in a Detail Window on a Layout

1. How is the pixel dimension of the image in the window set?
  2. Does the resulting image up or down res depending on the dpi settings of a pdf writer?
  3. By default should Raytrace in a detail window reproduce the same tonal and colour values as the same settings when rendered to a viewport? (I think I’m getting a variation.)
  4. The pause/lock control isn’t immediately responsive. After a long time of waiting a re-click the pause, at which point it stops for an instant and then begins again. It doesn’t seem to matter how long I wait between clicks so I’m not sure, but I don’t think it’s working. Also the area of sensitivity is very small between what appear to be a pause/render button and a lock/unlock button. This size remains very small with the zooming of the display and I’m having difficulty controlling this. I can’t seem to turn off the raytracing image at all; it will only instantaneously pause but won’t stay that way.
  5. Is it supposed to use the offboard GPU on a laptop? Rhino never seems to create any load on it.
  6. There is a “show clipping planes” option in the Options>ViewModes settings for Raytrace. Is this intended to clip the model according to the clipping plane, or show the clipping plane object? (it isn’t doing either in my case, but that may be because I’m using a VaSection type of clipping plane.)

Hi David -
You can’t use a Raytraced detail on a layout at this point. You’ll have to create a picture and paste that on the layout.
-wim

Ah. Thanks. It would probably be a good idea to disable that option.

That would likely take just as much time from a developer than fixing the issue.
-wim

Okay. (I wonder if it would take as much time as I just spent trying to figure out how all the options presented worked… ;-D)

How does a user change the view mode of a detail view if it has been set to “raytraced”? (The application begins to render the view, and everything seems to lock up; the detail doesn’t respond to activation or selection or changes in View mode.)

Hi David -

Like I said:

-wim

The action which resulted in this entire thread left a frozen detail because it is in fact possible (but it screws things up.) I have now returned to that page and seek support to reclaim that detail.

Please help if you can.

Hi David -

I’m assuming that, in the 12 days that have gone, you have saved and closed that file at least once and that this behavior persists. Can you post that file - or, even better, if you can create a small sample that behaves like that - here or upload it?
-wim

That’s correct, Wim. I’ll upload the project at some point today.
It’s uploaded.
It’;s a perspective view into a set through a Vasection. (I expect in the absence of Va you’ll be looking just at the corner of the outside of the set.)

Please let me know if you don’t get it. I just got a note suggesting that it was uploaded to me. though I ensured that tech@mcneel was in the email address spot because my browser often by defaults puts my address in the “to” field.

Hi @djhg,

Whilst in a model viewport, open the Render settings panel and change the Samples setting to 1. Then go to the layout and the raytraced view will render for just one cycle. When it has completed you can change the view to Shaded (or whatever else you need).

Don’t forget to change the Samples back after you have changed the Layout, otherwise you are going to get very grainy renders!

HTH
Jeremy

Hi David -

I got your file, thanks.
I see the detail on page “1.4” that is in Raytraced.
I did as Jeremy suggested (my understanding is that you also need to check the Override Production Render Quality checkbox below that highlighted Samples setting) and then used the pull-down at the top-left of the viewport to change from Layout to Detail (Perspective).

At that point, changing from the Raytraced to the Wireframe display mode went fine. It doesn’t go fast as the entire file is sluggish, but it went fine.
-wim

Thankyou Jeremy and Wim.

I welcome thoughts on how to make that project less sluggish.