Randomising point locations for realistic waves

Hi,

Im looking to adjust the points/peaks of the waves by randomising the heights and directions slightly to create more accurate looking waves (as if in an ocean see) so its not as repetitive.

What I currently have:

What I want it to be more like:
240624_-_Zoetrope_v1_draft_render - Copy
240625 - Varied Wave peaks.3dm (3.5 MB)

What would be the most straight forward method of ‘randomising’ the point grid to do this?

Thanks so much. See internalised geo here
240625 - Varied Wave peaks.gh (13.2 KB)

Ton’s of stuff (Phillips/Gerstner/FFT etc etc) around for that matter. Like:

And a rather very simple intro on Gerstner:

Plus for the Phillips:

Anyway, see this as well:

Bad news: this is not a game - at all - for components > you’ll need obviously to cut the mustard via code. If you have plans to walk that type of walk I could provide some indicative help (but not the real code).

Hi Peter,
Thank you very much for your links. I’m not familiar with code at all really as I’m new to GH but I am interested in it - I just don’t know where to start to bridge the gap between 3D/Rhino/GH to utilising code within it.
Thanks for linking the other topic - will take a look.

Well … let’s say that this topic is not the ideal start point for your future coding adventures. Contact me a few years later (if you are indeed serious about that kind of walk).

BTW: A poor relative could be using some Perlin or Simplex (far more elaborated results). But better avoid these (see the animated test: not exactly “ocean waves” like).

BTW: see this as well (for “sea waves” … Perlin is the poor relative of Simplex which is the poor relative of Phillips/Gerstner/FFT).

BTW: The best (by far) wave thing exposed in Internet. Very easy to port to C# as well