R8 wish: Mouse orbit and fixed zoom speed

I wish for an option that sets two great mouse features in Rhino 8 as default behaviour.
These will be great for all architects and most designers too IMO.

1. [Shift]-[Ctrl]-RMB as default RMB
  2. [Alt]-Zoom as Zoom.

Zooming should have a speed setting too.
(A distance-per-registered-adjustment setting too, now it uses a fraction of the distance between camera and camera target to determine the speed)

IMO these two settings are related and can have a combined toggle in the Mouse section of Settings.

@pascal and @BrianJ, do you think this can be implemented?

1 Like

Hi Jorgen -

So, always tumble views on RMB drag by default, even Plan views, Ctrl-Shift RMB to pan?
(Currently, it looks to me like the setting for ‘Pan parallel views with Ctrl + Shift + RMB’ is broken)

-Pascal

1 Like

I’m not seeing any discernable difference with this compared to just regular RMB.

No no, not plan views, we don’t want to rotate plan views, and in plan views the zooming is consistent already. So keep that as it is. I just want it in perspective to navigate, inspect and ease modelling.

The current never-know what we are orbiting around is difficult for new users to get used to and also tricky for experienced users to use. We constantly use ZS (Zoom Selected) to reset the view.

The current auto-set focuspoint is OK on small projects (product design) but not perfect on large architectural projects.

1 Like

I think they call this that ‘dolly’ version, and I agree with this 1,000%. I’ve actually brought this up at least a few times over the years.

I originally was bringing this up for the sake of 3D mouse navigation behavior. But in recent times 3Dconnexion created some bandaid patches to almost kinda mitigate the issue…

1 Like

It lets you orbit around the “pick point” if you hold Shift-Ctrl down and drag the mouse while holding RMB down.

Edit: I don’t see this behaviour in current V8 either. It works in V7 and I don’t think I have toggled on someting.

1 Like

Oh, OK - yes, that seems at least possible to me… though changing default behavior is always fraught when it comes down to it, and users may understandably get cross, so we’ll no doubt want to think about it more than I am right now.

-Pascal

1 Like

I guess I understand the whole plan view restriction thing, but this is frustrating for 3D mouse users who want their 3D mouse to not get locked up like that.

At any rate, it’s understandable. But I’m not seeing a discernable effect in the ‘perspective’ mode with regular mouse…

Oh I see, I’ll have to check this out.

I surmise my conflict is when 3D connexion settings I use are automatically resetting the target point often, so not sure I’ll be able to utilize this other potential workflow, unless 3dconnexion and Rhino collaborate and remove all the conflicting driver behavior and redundancies etc.

I’ve noticed in recent times at some point 3dconnexion did finally somehow implement the ‘dolly zoom’ effect, but this issue with the target point resetting has become a bit more difficult to explain.

But ‘the rotation point’ is probably the remaining issue here for 3D mouse users, and maybe regular mouse users.

There’s plenty of other CAD’s and even CAM’s that have much better solutions or ‘rotation points’ than Rhino.

It would be nice if Rhino gave users the ability to have more control over the rotation point.

I’ve used a CAD before that enabled the user to have a list of define-able ‘rotation points’ to choose from.

The whole idea overall is that the user can rotate the 3D space from a particular point, regardless of the location of that point relative to the ‘viewport’.

Rhino’s version where the user is basically obligated to rotate relative to the center of the particular viewport, has always been a odd behavior to get used to relative to other CAD’s.

Maybe it’s time to start hammering on this.

Sorry, that was not my intention, I agree on that. I wish for a toggle to “make” it default. So it is up to the user to turn it on. Or maybe even have a “F#” key assigned to it.

2 Likes

Same in here, and then I realized that Ctrl Shift IS default.

1 Like

Have you testet the options in WalkAbout and LookAbout Toolbar?

1 Like

Are you f**n kidding me??? HAHA, now THAT’s a nice christmas present :smiley:
Obviously I was working in V7 and got frustrated about this on a project we are releasing, so I just dropped the wish here as I we have not started using V8 for production yet…

Dang, now I feel both dumb and happy at the same time, odd feeling :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks, a few years ago, but I found them too slow and not to my liking. I prefer a spacemous over them, but I would love to see a proper ASDW fly/walk-on-geometry solution. (I did make a prototype of one many years ago so I will try to improve it one day. And there is the STORK plugin that was made for Rhino 6, but I don’t know if it has been updated for V7 and V8)

2 Likes

Q+ WASD+E as in Enscape and a toggle between FreeFlying and FixedEyeLevel would be VERY nice in Rhino 8 SRX. Also switching between Perspective and 2-pkt-Perspective without needing to deselect all and toggle this in the properties panel.

Yes, these are the defaul gaming combos, same in TwinMotion that we use all the time. Intuitive, cross platform and fast to use.

2 Likes

@pascal I have done some testing now and this feels really great and intuitive.
Thank the guys who decided to make it default.

I rember we discussed this a while back, but I could not remember that it was implemented and since we couldn’t save our toolbars I never got around to test V8 properly.

1 Like

Hi Jorgen - tbh, here, this behaves exactly the same in V7 and V8 as far as I can see…

-Pascal

2 Likes

Strange, maybe you don’t have the latest verdion? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Does RMB in perspective orbit around camera target and not ‘pick point’ in your v8?
Maybe I have a setting that migrated from beta that I can’t remember, or you have an inhouse version of a sr that isn’t released?

1 Like

There is this ‘advanced’ setting

I may well have lost track but I do not think there is a top level setting for that in the normal UI.

-Pascal

1 Like