Hi everyone. I am new to Rhino.
I just built a computer with the following specs:
- Corsair Rm 850i
- Ryzen 9 5900x
- Vengeance 4x16gb DDR4 3200Mhz CL15
- ZOTAC RTX 3090 Trinity 24gb
- Sabrent 256gb Nvme SSD
- Windows 10 with latest updates
- Nvidia Studio Driver 460.89 DCH
So, i am trying out Rhino 7 with iray. I’m used to another software (pCon planner), which used Intel OSPRay / Yafaray engine.
I was able to import the project I am interested in right now from pCon planner, as it is a .dwg file. I had to re-assign the materials but I didn’t have any problem doing it. The project is medium sized and not very detailed.
I was told the viewport usually uses GPU. With this project, i notice that real time Iray rendering is actually faster than the wireframe view. the wireframe view gives me very low FPS on this project. GPU tessellation is active though.
During viewport i use 12% of the CPU (4 threads 100%, the other idling) and around 3% of the GPU.
Using Iray, the cpu spikes up to 100%. Gpu 3-5%.
So now I noticed that based on the settings I use, I use more or less CPU but the GPU % is usually the same.
If I use the cpu only, it uses it at 100%.
If I use CUDA settings, it uses the gpu up to 10% (and it’s faster than the CPU)
If I use Optix settings, it uses the CPU up to 12% (4 threads) and the GPU 5-7%.
So after describing my situation, my only concerns are:
- To make sure that I can use my hardware correctly during viewport, so that handling the project becomes smooth.
- Finding a plug-in render engine that can use my GPU and RTX tecnology for my renders. I was thinking about V-ray 5, but I didn’t test it out yet.
Do you have any advice? Let me know if you need more info!