PufferFish 2.0 / Discrete polylines

Hi everyone,

I am trying to create a random spiral made of polylines. I am planing to use the discrete polylines from PufferFish 2.0.

My goal is to create those kind of twisting shapes (but more controlled, less randomized)

With this lines effect (discrete polylines)

d16ec37f4c8bd7196a026c5d9b04eeda72c7fe94_1_500x500

The thing is i am using Grasshopper for Mac, i can’t use Anemone to create a curves network. I also want to have more lines at the bottom and less at the top around a pipe. That is why i created a list of gradient points (on two different plans) to create this sensation of depth and randomness. I want the lines to jump from one color to the other and create a network more complex at the bottom and simple at the top.

I have no clue how to create those lines. I might be wrong in my algorithm, it is maybe not the right path to take…

Does someone has a idea how to achieve this? Am i on the right way?

LAMP TWIST.gh (35.8 KB)

Thank you,

Rémy

You can upvote your thread, but no need for new one.

Hi @tim.stark,

Sorry, i am new here. How can i upvote the thread?

Thank you,

Rémy

1 Like

The thing is i am using Grasshopper for Mac, i can’t use Anemone to create a curves network.

Use bootcamp or find another loop tool that works, maybe hoopsnake.

1 Like

Just write something in it. Maybe post your new gh file with all your tries etc. People will more try to help you on specific problems and not „how to do the whole thing“ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there,

Sorry for the mess and thank you for the advices.

@Michael_Pryor / Will try with hoopsnake since i don’t have bootcamp installed

@tim.stark / Thank you, will do for the future

Best,

Rémy

@Michael_Pryor / Will try with hoopsnake since i don’t have bootcamp installed

If you want the effects of those lines like in the colored image of mine you attached then you will need some kind of loop. Otherwise answering the question is pointless, can’t drive the car without the engine.

1 Like

It makes sens!

Thank you @Michael_Pryor

Tried some stuff. To be true I don’t really know what exactly you want from all the pictures. But anyways, here’s something which doesn’t require loop function and looks maybe like something you want to achieve. Feel free to play, adjust and change it. Hope it helps somehow :slight_smile:

LAMP TWIST_re.gh (23.1 KB)

4 Likes

Actually, it’s quite fun to play for me :smiley:
Here I added one more option. Just press all the buttons to look what happens. If you increase the amount of polylines hard, better turn of the mesh pipe before.

LAMP TWIST_re2.gh (30.3 KB)

4 Likes

Ah yea, forgot the discrete polyline doesnt need loop :smiley:

Looks amazing @tim.stark, this is exactly what i had in mind. My solution was definitely not the right one…

Unfortunately, i have error messages when i open your file. It seems that my version of grasshopper is older than yours and some components are missing when i open your file.

Do you know how i can fix this?

Thank you once again @tim.stark for the help and advices and @Michael_Pryor for the amazing PufferFish Library.

Best,

Rémy

Made it with rh6 sorry.
When i‘m Home from work I can make a Screenshot for you from the definition. Mesh pipe is from mesh tools I think. Can be replaced with normal pipe or whatever, but it’s faster. Was just before the preview component. About the multiplication I don‘t really know where I used it. Sorry but you have to wait a few hours, or maybe a nice rh6 User can Post the definition for me :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Sure! No problems, i can wait.

Thank you once again for the helping help and the amazing work

Rémy

Mesh pipe can be found here: https://www.grasshopper3d.com/photo/mesh-tools

1 Like

Here’s the def:

Btw: do whatever you want with the multiplications etc.

1 Like

Awesome!

@Michael_Pryor @tim.stark / You guys are the best.

Rémy

Hi Tim,

I tried to replace the components at their right places and i have this shape as result.

LAMP TWIST_re3.gh (31.5 KB)

Am i doing everything right? I am looking for to create shapes more like your first version, can you help me on which parameters to change for producing those kind of shapes please? I admit that your version is clearly “next level” for me.

Thank you,

Rémy

Can‘t tell you excactly. But try changing the stream filters (list value in the circled groups) and play with vector star/world in the end of the definition :slight_smile:

1 Like