Proximity 3D to mesh or surface

I was wondering if you came across converting a collection of points to grid line using proximity 3d then wanted to convert these lines to mesh?
like in this example I want to convert chair points into a mesh 3d chair.

I am able to convert point cloud to mesh using inspiring work of Nik Willmore on Metaballs and Meralines but the problems are:

1. his definition takes points as center lines of mesh volume which make the 3D object bigger that it should be.
  2. it takes a lot of calculation time to convert points clouds to mesh surfaces.

I only need to convert line connection of proximity 3D to surfaces but how?

Your point cloud looks pretty messy, you could start by manually deleting some points and adding some where they are missing.

Personally I’d just use the scan as a template to draw the curves needed to create nice surfaces.

1 Like

thank you for your reply,
my question here is how can I convert line like skeleton to mesh surfaces?
I used proximity 3D to create line grid but next step is how to convert this skeleton to surface or mesh?
sfsdgf

How about this solution?, you have option to mesh set of 3D points.

1 Like

thank you very much for this good tutorial. the points generated from populated geometry are listed in order, however point cloud does not have an order and depend on neighboring relationship.
therefore I need to start from proximity 3D, which gives a good control on neighboring relationships and generate a skeleton. lines between points. my question is how to convert this skeleton to surfaces?
here I attached my point cloud.

pointcloud.3dm (1.6 MB)

thank you in advance

I’m not good when it comes to working with meshes. I almost not use them.
There are lots of plugins that could help you here eg. mesh+, plankton, starling and more.
Maybe someone with more experience can help you.

1 Like

the points generated from populated geometry are listed in order,

That’s actually not true, however the reason Delaunay won’t work here is because it is a projection based operation. It won’t cover that 3D point cloud. You should look into alpha shapes.

1 Like

thanks alot I will look at mentioned libraries.
cheers

yes, thats a very good example, the 3D alpha shape creates a space aroud each point which makes the total object bigger than reality, I want to create a shape by connecting points together and not drawing a shape surrounding them.

the 3d DelunayCell draw faces between far objects also. proximity 3D draws skeleto n between neighboring objects only.
here is undesired results of DelaunayCell

yes, thats a very good example, the 3D alpha shape creates a space aroud each point which makes the total object bigger than reality

It does not. It connects point to point.

the 3d DelunayCell draw faces between far objects also

That is not a Delaunay cell you are using. That is the native planar based Delaunay. Please look at the thread I linked you to.

1 Like

Thanks alot
I will reread the thread and apply the methods stated
thanks alot for the quick reply

I would just use CloudCompare and Poisson reconstruction, you will get good clean meshes.
This is not an easy problem as just closest distance search.

1 Like

thank you vert much for your comment
I will check the links you mentions. your approach seems interesting

best regards
ahmed khairadeen ali

thank you @Michael_Pryor @Petras_Vestartas, I was able to convert point cloud to 3d object using alpha shape following @laurent_delrieu GH definition.

my next objective will be tracking mesh naked edge borders and connecting them to convert the mesh to closed object