Prong Editing

Hi all, I have a small situation, namely I want to edit the prongs from 0.6mm to 0.45mm. I tried with the rhinogold editor prong command but it doesn’t help me (it doesn’t change my prongs / the command doesn’t work or I use it incorrectly). Do you have any idea how I could edit otherwise. I mention that I can try to edit in Rhino 5 and Rhinogold 6.5. I will attach a picture to give you an idea of ​​what I would like to do. Thank you very much

Hello - I have no idea about RhinoGold, but it occurs to me the setting for ‘Surface Angle’ might want to be zero in this case. In Rhino, there is nothing so automatic, you’d just need to pull the prong surfaces out, scle or replace them, and trim the new ones back in.

-Pascal

I am using a much older version of RG and for me I need to have the prongs selected before I hit the edit command. If the prongs are not selected when you open the prong editor …they do not edit.

Manually select the prongs you want to edit and then type “edit” into the command line, hit enter and the RG prongs edit window should comes up.

If you wan to edit all the prongs visible and unlocked in your file the same then you can use the _SelProngs command to grab them all and then while they are selected type “edit” into the command line and hit enter to access the RG prong edit window. HTH.

cheers,
Sochin

hi Sochin, thank you for the advice. I followed the steps taken but unfortunately it doesn’t work. The edit command does not work when I select the prong. the _selprongs command goes to a point. Specifically, I can select them but they don’t go edited. I kept playing with the commands from the prongs and I still have no results. I think I’m doing something wrong or some option in the settings should be set, I have no idea and apparently it also becomes stressful. thank you

hi Pascal, thank you very much for the advice. It seems a bit more complicated your idea but I will try. I hope I shake his head. At the moment I have not succeeded with RG. thank you

I have attached a video. I hope someone will clarify whether I do it right or not or I have a problem with RG. thank you

Looks to me like you have already joined the prongs to other objects in your model or edited them outside of RG.

As soon as you do that they loose their RG identity as prongs and are no longer editable with the Rg plugin… The claws in the above video look like they have been trimmed in a boolean operation.

Screen Shot 2020-09-26 at 6.15.08 am

As a suggestion I would change your layer colour to something other than the selection colour for the purposes of a video like this.

If you are sure that your prongs are not joined to other objects or edited then to check to see if your prongs are still prongs inside Rhino select one and then type “what” in the command line and hit enter. The first line in the output window should say “prong”. If it does not then the link between the prong and RG is lost and AFAIK unlike gems in RG you cannot reconnect them. I may be wrong.

HTH and good luck.

Hello Sochin and thank you for your answer! I took 2 pictures, one with the modified model and another with the original model. Unfortunately in both situations it shows me polysurface and not prong. I checked other models I have and it still looks the same when I type “what”. Should I think about polysurface editing?

Your are back at Pascal`s original advice if you want to edit them as Rhino objects. Technically I believe in both the RG and Rhino the prongs are polysurfaces…it is just the linkage is gone.

You could also go back and recreate the prongs from start with RG. Once you have done that be careful that you only edit them with the plugin until you are sure you are done…and use the next point.

You should also look at incremental saves so that you can revert to earlier versions…or go back to earlier versions to pull certain parts out. This is really useful when using plugins that from time to time will loose links to objects they create. This happens often with TDM products like Clayoo and RG from my experience. It will also happen whenever you apply certain Rhino functions to those objects. It is also good modelling practise IMO.

I would also urge you to get rid of the RG interface and use the Rhino interface. Especially now that the plugin is end of life and the only help you will probably get is here. It is far better IMO anyway.

I would also urge you to make the effort to learn Rhino more than RG or any other plugin. That was the best advice I ever got when I started and was running into problems like the one you are.

When plugins fail you end up saving the day in Rhino…only if you know how Rhino works to do what you want to do. It will also make you appreciate a really good plugin and what it does more.

RG does some things really well…but many more things very poorly IMO.

Good luck

cheers,
Sochin

Hi Sochin, thank you very much for your advice. it’s true that I don’t know Rhino very well (I’m only 1 year old since I started working with him) and with RG less than a year. I will be guided by your advice and I hope to succeed in the future. Thank you very much for the advice! Have a great day!