Making realistic prongs for rendering rings

Hi Everyone,
I have been using Rhino for a few months and love it. Not I am trying to make realistic renders so I can share photos. Problem is that I make my prongs for manufacturing and they don’t look like the final product. Does anyone have any tips or can point me to the right direction on how to make proper prong settings for rendering? Thanks in advance for your help.

ApplyEdgeSoftening is a great command to mimic polishing.

IThanks for your reply. Edge softening would be helpful but I’m looking for a way to transform the prong into a finished shape. Take a look at the pics I just attached.

I usually do 2 versions of my models, one for production and one for render. If I was doing a crown / cage setting like your first photo, I would pipe a curve with history on and then for my render i would turn on points for that prong and then bend it over the stone to the shape I like for my render. If I was doing a V-claw or a special prong like your second one I would split it near the girdle of the stone and then rebuild for my render.

The ones for render also have any sharp edges filleted to give it more of a polished look.

I have certain tolerances I have to use for production, bezels & channel sets for example, that are not the same when doing a one off or doing one for render.

IHTH «Randy

Thanks for your reply. One more question, if I wanted to mirror the adjustments of the points on a pipe or special prong, what command would you recommend?

I would actually mirror the pipe with History on from the midpoint of the gem. Then as you adjust points on first prong to update the pipe, the mirrored pipe will update from the original pipe…

Thanks again, I meant if I wanted to make a piped extrusion more oval or a custom shape. How would I mirror the point edit to reflect on both sides of the prong symmetrically?

make a profile curve (shape of prong) planar at the bottom of the curve, then Sweep1 rail. once in place you would have to make the end cap, that would depend on the final shape of the prong.