Projection mappingin rhino vray

How can i put 1 projection map on seperate items? Can someone walk me through it?

It actually pretty easy. Select all of the keys and then apply a planar mapping widget to the set. Adjust the widget so its perfectly positioned and the exact same aspect ratio as the texture map. Then, apply one material to the same selection.

Be careful: You have to manually select all of the objects two times: when you create a widget and then apply the material. Avoid grouping them.

Here is the one map I created for an entire keyboard of 46 keys. The things to watch out for is registration; its got to be perfectly aligned or you get ‘drift’ where some keys are no longer centered. I solved this by taking a screen capture of the ortho view and then building my texture map in Photoshop directly on top of the ortho screenshot layer below.

Its a tube so im assuming i would apply a cylindrical mapping widjet. It’s also Two Seperate materials, thats what makes it tricky. Is there anyway to apply one map to both materials?

Yes.

Yes. Two options.

If you haven’t started, I would make Material1 with a texture map X. Adjust all other settings. Then, copy Material1 → Material 2. It has the same texture map X, so you can now change other settings as needed.

If you have already created the two materials, it’s easy enough to just use the same texture map X for both materials. That’s probably better because – unless both geometries are identical – you will need to adjust the mapping widget differently for each geometry.

SUGGESTION: If we’re just talking about two parts here, just make two separate materials any way you want. The process I originally described was to speed up mapping on 46 separate parts. For two, just keep it simple and easy.

Cool. I think I got it. Let me know if this is a good workflo:

I applied the materials separately and then I put a bitmap in each materials diffuse slot. After that I selected all the geometry and added a map, I find that planar mapping works better than cylindrical mapping.

that seems to solve it, the only issue I saw after that was that the image was scaled inward alittle bit, but I think that was because when I chose the rectangle for the planar map it was a different dimension that the actual image. The image is wider than it is short, but the cosmetic bottle that I was trying to apply it to is tall and slim. At work the images are custom made for the bottles at the right proportions so it should work.

im having another issue though. I actually just watched your vray tutorial. Literally just now. and when I try the vray rt options it does not work. I tried it with a block of the cosmetic bottle I took from work ( so I could practice) and it did not work, I then restarted rhino and tried it. it worked, I cancelled it and did it again and then it didn’t work. Now when I say it doesn’t work, what happens is that the rener window comes up but no image shows… its just black. Also When I try the vray rt in the viewport, my viewport just changes to wire frame mode and that’s it. Any suggestions?

I’m hoping for an in depth tutorial on UV mapping in Rhino V-Ray. There’s really only one tutorial out there (which is quite good) but a longer, more thorough tutorial is overdue. I do a lot of my rendering work in Modo which has excellent UV tools but I’m trying to work more and more inside Rhino so getting clearer about UV work would be helpful.

One tip is to split the various pieces of geometry into separate parts. That alone will make many mapping tasks unnecessary.

Also, Chaos has tech notes online.

I have noticed that 3D apps with superior mapping are usually mesh based poly-modelers and focused on characters. Since its not easily separated, that kind of model requires the advanced mapping, but most products and architecture I do are totally fine with the basic tools.

You need to plan ahead. You should design the map to fit the geometry with no distortion, unless you are doing repeating / tiling patterns.

One trick I use it to create most maps as a perfect square. I always know that there is no distortion as long as the X=Y. You have to spend a little more time getting it aligned, but it never gets distorted.

I think the maps at work are good to go. The graphic design department takes care of that and they have been doing the same thing for years. I’m sure the dimensions are correct. Coming from max I’m not too familiar with rhino and when they initially gave it to me it was scaling outward because I used a cylindrical map, which in my mind was a logical choice. They’re telling me that the last guy did it perfectly and had no problems but what the last guy is not telling them is all the processes he had to try before he figured it out. that information is arbitrary and they probly don’t care to know it. they just want it it to work. In any case. I did some experiments at home over the weekend and found that planar mapping works better in that scenario. I just have to input the dimensions of the photoshop decal when I make the square for he map [quote=“Shawn, post:1, topic:30820, full:true”]
How can i put 1 projection map on seperate items? Can someone walk me through it?
[/quote]

and it should work fine. … Hopefully :sweat_smile: