Project match edge onto two surfaces?

Is this possible in Rhino?

Like edge A goes across surface B and C.

Or do I need to merge the B and C into D first so A gets matched to a larger D, if you follow?

(Oh, and I’m mainly asking about closest point matching G1 or G2 with “CurveNearSurface=On” option, ie normal projected alignment, because edge merging I think works and doesn’t impact the second surface anyway…)

Example file:

1.stp (26.8 KB)

Yep - use the ChainEdges option in MatchSrf

-Pascal

Ok, what about “CurveNearSurface=On”? Can you ChainSurfaces? :slight_smile:

Bump with another example, because I’m curious if it can be done at all (without merging the blue and green surfaces!)…

2surfs.3dm (378.1 KB)

Hello - no, there is no way to do that, that I know of.

-Pascal

Thanks for the confirmation!

Wait a minute… Rhino supports matching across two different surface edges??

This guy has a horrible solution, but matches to two trimmed edges belonging to two different surfaces and seemingly gets a result… so why is that supported, since it almost always by definition creates worse surfaces than projection matching (which, btw, is weirdly called “curvenearsurface” in Rhino… still haven’t gotten used to that).

1 Like

Hello - I don’t really understand the question - these seem like two completely different things., chaining target edges and matching to a surface with no edge as a target… Are you asking for the latter on multiple surfaces? Yes, I see that you are…

RH-58730 MatchSrf - multiple target surfaces for CurveNearSurface

-Pascal

1 Like

From your answer, Rhino seems to have a generalized enough implementation of its match algorithm to not care that the chaining target edges come from two different surfaces… so why not extend that to the “curvenearsurface” option (so I guess it would need to be renamed “curvenearsurfaceS”? :slight_smile:

EDIT: Haha, wow, I forgot that my original question was what I just re-discovered in that video. :rofl:

Really horrible solution. :rofl: Could be much better executed.