Problem with split and boolean difference

Split failed, objects may not intersect or intersections may not split object

Split and boolean difference not working. Unsure what to change to make the tool work. Inserting the file here for closer inspection
RHINO DESIGN III.3dm (16.2 MB)

It is not necessary to post duplicate topics. If you don’t get an answer, perhaps you should more clearly explain your question in the original post.

At least you posted a file, but from what you posted it is not clear what you are having trouble with.

-Kevin

I don’t frequent this site and this is the first time I got 0 response, hence why I reposted. I’m using that sphere to create a roof for the specific building. I extruded the walls up so that I could split the sphere and use the remaining portion as the roof. Whenever I try to do it, it tells me “Split failed, objects may not intersect or intersections may not split object.” I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I don’t know what I need to change in order to make it work.

First step in diagnosing a problem with Split, Trim or Boolean operations is to Intersect or IntersectTwoSets the cutting objects and the target objects. For Split, Trim, etc to work the intersection needs either a closed curve or an open curve which extends to the edges of the target object.

The walls need to be simplified and any overlaps eliminated.

Is this your desired result?

• Create plane to intersect with walls
    • _Plane
  • Get intersections between plane and walls (positioned plane with gumball first)
    • _IntersectTwoSets
  • Simplify and clean up intersection curves
    • _CurveBoolean
  • Create extrusion (positioned curve with gumball first)
    • _ExtrudeCrv
  • Trim sphere with extrusion (rotated sphere with gumball to move seam first)
    • _Trim
  • Trim extrusion with sphere
    • _Trim
  • Join parts
    • _Join
  • Cap to create closed polysurface
    • _Cap

RHINO DESIGN III_re.3dm (4.0 MB)

Your walls consist of 8 surfaces and 41 polysurfaces, in the future it would be advantageous to use a different method to model them.

-Kevin

1 Like