Problem. Hitting undo at any point clears any selected faces on a SubD object?

For some reason, selections are constantly getting cleared when I use SubD objects. This never happens with regular curves or surfaces.

Here’s an example video. Notice what happens when I’m selecting faces and manipulating them. The moment I hit undo, the selection completely clears and I have to reselect all over again.

Compare this to the selection and manipulation of control points on a curve. You can select them, manipulate, hit undo, etc. The selection never clears. This is normal.

This is killing my SubD process, because it effectively makes it impossible to work with. I can’t confidently select faces and move them around in space with confidence because if I ever hit undo to take a step back, the entire selection clears out.

Is this a bug, or is there a way to prevent this from happening?

Hello - I see this as well… it is true for all sub-object selection, not just SubD ones - SubD control point selections, for example, are not lost. Here.

-Pascal

Correct. This basically affects everything on SubD objects, including control points as you mentioned. Bug? Or is there some other way I can be directly selecting and manipulating SubD objects without constantly losing selection?

Hello - what I meant is that sub-objects in general are deselected on undo, not just SubD ones. Surface edges etc. as well as SubD edges and faces. But here, control point (F-10, PointsOn command) selections are not lost on any object on Undo…

I would call it a limitation, I don’t know if it is a bug… but yes, it would be nice to make that better. I’ll see if it is on the pile, it rings a bell…

-Pascal

I see. It’s a bit of a nightmare right now, and basically kills the usability of SubD modeling, as a huge aspect of it is selecting and moving around faces without constantly losing selection :slight_smile: Really hoping for a fix on this and all other sub-objects as you mentioned!

Moved to Serengeti (Rhino 7 WIP)Sub-D

is it on the pile? For me this is one of the more irritating bugs/limitations when working with subd, it’s kind of the same as having no undo or loose your selection…

1 Like

Yeah I been having this problem too. making a selection, gumball moving it, not being happy with the result, and then you have to select it all over again.

I filed it as https://mcneel.myjetbrains.com/youtrack/issue/RH-59423

2 Likes