Poor Display Performance on One Computer

@Trav - I’m running a Dell Precision M3800 laptop with Quadro K1100M GPU. Does this apply?

@BrianJ - I replyed to a thread we had on email. Don’t know what happened! Don’t have anything more to share. See above comment for the Share settings comment.

@stevebaer - Where do I adjust the vsync settings? What does this do?

I’ve attached my latest system info here. Note that I’m running windows 10 on this laptop which was suppied with 8 pro.

Thanks
Sach

system info.txt (1.3 KB)

In your nVidia Control Panel, under Manage 3D Settings. Scroll down to the bottom of the settings section.

1 Like

Thanks

I tried and makes no difference

There are a couple other nVidia Control Panel settings for Quadro cards.
They are detailed at the bottom of this Quadro Support document:
https://wiki.mcneel.com/rhino/nvidiainfo

Thanks, I found the email… it was in our shared support account. I replied.

@Trav - I’m running a Dell Precision M3800 laptop with Quadro K1100M GPU. Does this apply?

@sach , no it should not apply with the Quadro by default.

@sach, I moved this thread to a separate topic since the thread was getting very long and I didn’t want to lose it in a general post about display performance.

Let me back up and make sure I understand the situation. As far as I understand the display speed of drawing a single plane is fast in wireframe, but slow in shaded mode. Also, you noticed that Rhino ran just fine on another machine.

Are the above two statements correct?

Thanks Steve.

Yes these two statements are correct.

Let me clarify, that the lag seems associated with transforming objects in the scene and moving around the viewport - rotate, zoom etc. I think that creating things is okay.

Wireframe seems fast, but may have a slight lag. Slower is rendered mode and shaded is extre,mely laggy.

In shaded and rendered modes, the lag seems proportional to how zoomed in the objects are. So, zoomed far out with the objects small on the display, seems not so bad. Zoomed in with objects filling out the display becomes very slow.

Also, occasionally but not always, toggling between wireframe and shaded/rendered modes takes a few seconds. So the model freezes when shaded/rendered is selected then switches over.

Do you have any more ideas why this is happening?

Thanks
Sach

Thanks; this help clarify the situation. Unfortunately I am still at a loss at to why your display is slow for this one computer in shaded mode. We actually have two or three different ways to draw shaded geometry based on the reported capabilities of your OpenGL driver/ @jeff and I are making a bunch of changes to the display code and one of the things that he is working on is a test command to force Rhino to pick a specific technique of drawing the shaded geometry instead of relying on the reported capabilities of the card. We might be able to test this out on your system to see if the another technique works better.

Hi @stevebaer - I’d be happy to test this.
Not sure if it’s relevant, but I upgraded my windows 8 to 10 - before I tried rhino wip. So don’t know if it would have been okay in 8. Do you think this may be causing any issues?
Thanks
Sach

Thanks @BrianJ.
It’s a bit annoying as when I test the files that I’m working on in version 5, they’re instant! But the new functionality of rhino wip is too good to let go of now!

Hi @stevebaer @BrianJ

Any more news about this?

It would be great if you could suggest some configurations for me to try again as I’m still at a loss to why this is happening.

Thanks
Sach

Hi sach,

How old is your GPU driver? Does Rhino recognize it? See “Help -> System Information…”

Could you paste the text here?

-David

Hi David

Yes, it does recognize the driver. It’s the latest version of the driver:

Version: R375 U5 (376.84) WHQL
Release Date: 2017.2.14
Operating System: Windows 10 64-bit
Language: English (US)
File Size: 263.12 MB

Here’s the system info for WIP

Windows 10.0 SR0.0 or greater (Physical RAM: 16Gb)

Quadro K1100M/PCIe/SSE2 (OpenGL ver:4.5.0 NVIDIA 376.84)

OpenGL Settings
Safe mode: Off
Use accelerated hardware modes: On
Redraw scene when viewports are exposed: On

Anti-alias mode: 4x
Mip Map Filtering: None
Anisotropic Filtering Mode: None

Vendor Name: NVIDIA Corporation
Render version: 4.5
Shading Language: 4.50 NVIDIA
Driver Date: NA
Driver Version: NA
Maximum Texture size: 16384 x 16384
Z-Buffer depth: 24 bits
Maximum Viewport size: 16384 x 16384
Total Video Memory: 64 MB

I’ve also adjusted the Nvidia settings as recommended on the Rhino website for Quadro cards – see attached:

Thanks
Sach

Hi David

I’ve just done a quick comparison again between Rhino 5 and WIP with a 10 x 10 grid 0f 100mm spheres.

There is considerable difference with moving around the viewport - rotate, pan etc, and also to transform the objects - move, rotate etc.

In wireframe mode, moving around the viewport seems ok in WIP - but transforming objects is significantly slower than in V5.

It’s when in the shaded modes - shaded, rendered etc. when there is the big difference. in V5, it’s almost instant with negligible lag with increased number of objects, but in WIP it becomes incredibly slow. Also just switching between wireframe and shaded modes freezes the session.

Hope you can help!

Sach

Hi
For the record this seems to have been resolved in Rhino BETA! Speed in shaded and rendered mode is now quick!

1 Like