Pocket Watch, Rhino6, Raytraced displaymode, curvepiping, edge softening and displacement

unhandled

Made a time piece to test out an animation script I am working on.
All made in Rhino6.

Looking nice! Do you plan on posting the animation when you are done?

Thanks, and absolutely. I just had to combine the frames, so here is the animation. (The script rotates the selected object around a given point and waits x seconds before viewcapturetofile directly to a folder.)
The animation was given 90 frames (3 seconds) and each frame was given 30 seconds for rendering.

(Right click on the video and choose “Repeat” if you want it to continue to spin)

(Wim Dekeyser) #4

Your watch has stopped, by the way… :wink:

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #5

Is the bright yellow light an object with Cycles Emissive on it?

Hey Nathan, no to control product lighting I normally use rectangular lights since it is more effective and also shows the result in OpenGL.
You can have the file to play with if you like.

:smiley: I had to work very fast, within a second, to prevent a three seconds backwards jump for each turn.

(Nathan 'jesterKing' Letwory) #8

No need, I was just wondering :slight_smile:

And now that makes me wonder why you wondered :wink:

That looks great Holo! I’m looking forward to when Bongo and Grasshopper are working together along with Cycles. Will lead to some cool animations for sure.

Thank you for sharing!
Ryan

And how you have made a chain? Elements interact somehow there…

The chain is made by twisting an ellipse that has curvepiping on.
And the “welded” ellipse is a slightly distorted open curve with rouned ends to give the impression that it is bent together to be closed. Imperfections are nice for the eye :wink:
Have a look:
chain.3dm (148.8 KB)

My Rhino 5 and your file doesn’t open.
I am interested in interaction between ellipses as they concern each other.

You can download V6 as a trial to test it out or check this converted file:
chain_v5.3dm (186.2 KB)

Well.
How to achieve such result that the geometry wasn’t crossed? Surfaces have to concern each other…
2018-05-03_153717

Well, obviously you just zoom in and eyeball it.
It is easy to zoom in to achieve a 0.001 mm tolerance. But why would you need that? Close enough is close enough for a rendering.

But don’t view it in wireframe, either pipe the curves or turn on shaded mode to see curvepiping. (They should be in the file unless V6 ignores them when saving as V5)

(Ethan Gross) #17

How did you apply the tree relief?

I have understood. I thank for answers. :slightly_smiling_face:

It is a displacement.
The displacement setting in Rhino isn’t very intuitive at first but you set the distance that black and white travels in either direction from the initial surface.
And then set the resolution as high as you need.
Here are the settings I used since I wanted black to be a negative imprint:

I also turned on the texture mapping for the object. (This object only uses one texture channel thus using channel 1)

Wood grain texture
(Ethan Gross) #20

Thank you, very helpful!