Plywood Strips twisting and bending simulation

kangaroo
unhandled

(Agakorz14) #1

Hi everyone,

I have been looking into bending and twisting plywood strips and trying to simulate their behaviour in Kangaroo. I have set up the script that uses ‘hand points’ that are supposed to represent the hand movement when twisting and bending the strips in real life.

At the moment I am struggling with getting a good approximation of the hierarchy of strengths of different goals to be the most true to real life. Has anyone done anything similar in the past and could help me find the most realistic values to help this simulation? The end result I would like to achieve would look something like the first diagram.

For now the script doesn’t take thickness of the material into account however I am aware that will be another parameter that will need to be added to the simulation at some point.

Currently I find that when I move the hand points down the corresponding corner of the strip moves upward which I struggle to understand why. Does anyone have any idea why this could be?

I would be very grateful for your help as it is a pressing issue that I need to resolve to progress my project.

Thanks!
Agata

Step 18.pdf (146.8 KB)
181028_Ply strip bending simulation_AK.gh (31.2 KB)

!