Please use a different payment provider for your online shop

Opinion/feedback

I love that I can buy a Rhino license directly from McNeel online. It gives me these advantages:

• I get the license immediately! which is sometimes super critical.
  • I don’t need to deal with the resellers, who sometimes are not very professional, and I don’t want to purchase other services from them anyway.

I do not like your weird payment provider.

• It often fails.
  • They try to “scam” me in the process, by offering me to pay in my local currency at a markup of several percentages over the interbank rate. I’m buying a b2b software product, this is not ok. See screenshot at the bottom.
  • I get error messages in spanish all the time.

This reflects extremely poorly back on McNeel. I suggest you find a different payment provider to ensure a modern payment experience for your customers.

Screenshots
If hit the wrong button here they scam me out of 9165,73 - 8.875,65 = 38 Euros. This like the tourist trap ATM currency conversion.

The super unhelpful error messages in spanish when something goes wrong.

I put this in the Meta category since it’s an issue that is not directly concerning the use of Rhino.

In my experience, for pretty much all online credit card purchases in currency other than my own (CHF), the company that is taking the payment offers to charge me in CHF (for “convenience”!) instead of the original currency - of course always with some added percentage. Some take more of a percentage than others; the percentage that they do charge is always to be compared to what your bank/credit card charges for conversion to your currency from Euros. I agree that 3.85% in this case seems quite excessive, most credit card companies are 2% or under.

The general rule is it’s usually preferable to pay in Euros (or dollars) and let your bank/credit card do the conversion; that being said, there are some places (Amazon comes to mind here) where the difference between them is practically zero.

There have been complaints in the past how McNeel Europe’s payment provider’s messages are confusing - don’t know what can be done about that. As a reseller, I buy from McNeel regularly and it goes through the same payment provider. I have just gotten used to it over time, so it doesn’t bother me anymore.

1 Like

I put this in the Meta category since it’s an issue that is not directly concerning the use of Rhino.

Thanks!

In my experience, for pretty much all online credit card purchases in currency other than my own (CHF), the company that is taking the payment offers to charg…

We make hundreds of purchases online our company credit cards every month. In my experience very few of these offer this “convenience” exchange, and I find it highly unprofessional.

This is also just an opinion that the McNeel team can take into consideration. I don’t expect a solution at all. Will edit post with that info.

If you look at the following, it looks like the banks/credit card companies are pushing this sort of thing:

I like this part:

Plus, you’ll also receive a tidy commission every time one of your customers pays with automatic currency conversion

More from Wikipedia:

Proponents of this service believe that customers can better understand prices in their home currency, and this makes it easier for business travelers to keep track of their expenses. They also point out that the customer has full transparency inclusive of conversion fees, and can make an informed choice whether or not to use DCC. The financial benefit to the merchant or their card processor may be an incentive for the merchant to offer DCC even when it would be disadvantageous to the customer.

Opponents of the service believe that customers do not understand DCC, and point out that DCC exchange rate markups are mostly higher than the card issuers’ currency conversion fees that DCC avoids, and therefore, in almost all cases, opting for DCC will result in a higher charge to the cardholder.

That payment system is really terrible actually. I hate it, it fails permanently, and those error messages in spanish are sooooo freaking annoying.

Sorry for that. Most of the problems seem to be related to credit cards not well configured for the new security system (PDS2 SCA), mandatory in the European Union since January 1st. 2021.

If you are going to make a payment soon, and have a history of failing ones, please contact me so we can follow it and try to discover the problem.