Playing with Rhino 8 and Krita AI

There are many “AI” renderers out there, I had tried some, and none is free. With those commercial “AI” renderer, the control is minimal.

Then I was actually trying to do some small research with Krita and AI, when suddenly an idea came up to my mind. FYI, unlike Photoshop, Krita and its AI are totally free, and can be installed as local. So, no internet connection or renting cloud GPUs when you have Nvidia RTX card.

“Why not doing collaboration between Rhino 8 and Krita AI?”

And the result is extremely interesting, and FAST as well :grin: it also delivers design variants in just seconds.

13 Likes

This is actually more useful than the other GenAI image generators, this one respects your design, color information and geometry!

1 Like

This looks really good. I think the most promising evolution of enhanced/creative viewmodes in Rhino is using AI as a rendering engine or GPU interpreter. Especially for other visual styles beyond photorealism.

I looked at thinks like Vizcom, Krea (different that Krista shown above), Midjourney, etc, and they all do too nice things visually but still with much interpretative hallucinations.

Hard to tell if this one here’s is much better, but the example shown very nice. And this space is advancing so fast!

G

1 Like

Those mentioned by @tay.othman and @gustojunk are the main reason why I tried to find the best solution for instant Rhino 8 visual rendering for a design and its alternatives. I played with ProRender as well as D5. Both are good. But they rely on good modeling, texturing and lighting as well. Many are still struggling as they might expect fire-and-forget rendering button.

I started to find that Krita AI has huge potentials to help doing the “quick and dirty” job to visualize the design with design information intact. The next one is to have correct prompt. However, I still try to find how to show proper and good lighting effects for light sources/lamps. If it’s using environment lighting like skylight or sunlight, Krita AI seems to do the job well. But I could say, Krita AI does the job and delivers much better result than any other AI renderers which displaying interpretative hallucinations, just as @gustojunk said. The good thing is, Krita AI is aware of clipboard data from Rhino.

1 Like

Does it work with interiors?

It looks pretty cool! My experimentation with render engines turned into a giant time pit. I’ve held the opinion that it “must be me” but then I recalled using Revit of all things for basic renders and it actually gave me relatively better renders than I can usually achieve in cycles (although I’m going to give cycles another chance once I upgrade). I know that software and ray-trace renders are two different things. But sometimes you just need a good quick software render… and a lot of the time that quick render looks better than the ray-traced. The AI takes this to the next level!

1 Like

Funny that I’m now experimenting with my interior test scene. It works like a charm :grin: at least it showed me the direction where I should go.

Could this be the beginning of the holy grail renderer? Possibly yes, or may be not. But again, it does well to deliver “quick and dirty” job. Technology moves forward so fast. It’s the understanding to use the tool, rather than “relying” all to the tool. But I can assure you, it’s blazingly fast. I tried different GPUs connected to my notebook, ranging from RTX 3050 TI, 3070, A4000 and A5000. All give satisfactory result in speed. However, the RTX 3050 TI gave me time to drink my coffee :grinning: I couldn’t use my RX 6800 XT as Krita AI relies on CUDA for faster processing.

2 Likes

I don’t understand your workflow between Rhino an Krita. I installed it, and now I’m stuck in front of the different menus…

1 Like

Hi Phillipe. Krita still needs Diffusion plugins from Github to be able to download and access checkpoint files. It’s ranging from basic around 10GB up to nearly 40GB for complete checkpoints installation.

The easiest way to dump reference image to Krita is to capture the viewport to clipboard and create new file based on clipboard in Krita. What I love about Krita is, its non destructive editing through layers when manipulating it.

I’m no expert in Krita, but slowly, I will migrate everything from Photoshop to Krita, just as I migrated from Autocad nearly 1.5 decades ago to Rhino. I’m still learning Krita and how it will benefit us as Rhino users.

I’m so grateful that Krita and its AI addon are free.

I am trying to figure out where krita falls in the spectrum of utility compared to Illustrator / inkscape or photoshop / Gimp. Where do you see its feature set being closer to ?

1 Like

From what I personally get, Krita is a digital painting and 2D animation software. I see Krita as a potentially good replacement for Photoshop. And a while ago, when Adobe announced its cloud AI support, I was wishing that Krita will have such features too because Krita supports Python. And it seems my wish just came true much sooner than I expected it. I use GIMP as well but when I use pen on my screen or Wacom, I feel that Krita runs much smoother than GIMP.

1 Like

GIMP is more like an editor than a painter. Krita indeed is more like digital painting/drawing.

For that digital painting I like to use both Krita and Blender with its grease pencil. Both work great with the Huion Kamvas Pro 13 drawing screen I have.

Both Krita and Blender are more like traditional drawing IMO, Inkscape is more for vector art - I haven’t yet figured out a good way to use that on my drawing screen. I keep going back to Blender for most of my drawings. I actually like using Blender also for sketching and note taking. Great infinite canvas in all directions.

2 Likes

Cool Nathan! Yeah I use Blender as well as its geometry node is mind blowing, and it’s rendering meets my requirement. I’m still learning Grease Pencil for animation though :smile:

I’m using it primarily as sketch block, but I have found that it is actually quite useful to do GUI mockup/animation - what happens if I click this button, etc.

Anyway, here a part of some notes I’m doing while working on import_3dm.

2 Likes

That’s freakin’ awesome Nathan! :sunglasses::+1:t2:

Sometimes I feel that we are convenient to use a tool for something it wasn’t designed for :smile:

I use Rhino for some vector graphics tasks which I finished in Krita. And I also have a wish to see Rhino.Inside.Blender in the near future :smile:

Rhino Inside Blender without the GUI works, I tested that last Friday. With GUI I don’t know yet. Need to figure out how to get Blender window handle.

3 Likes

Oh yeaaaaaah!!! :star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck::star_struck:

Can’t wait for the GUI :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Eureka!! Got another workflow with standard installation to use Krita AI to render a scene, and much closer to what I want to achieve.

Let me experiment with few things first, because I will show this workflow on Tuesday in an online lecture.

1 Like

Looking forward to that!

1 Like

Working on final preparation for tomorrow’s lecture. And this AI rendering was just part of it. This looks much better with just single prompt. Just can’t believe it works nicely. And it’s fast as well :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Bimo, I think you forgot to include the Zoom link for tomorrow’s lecture; we can’t see it here! good luck with it.

G

1 Like