Planarization n-gons

I have been playing with different panel patterns in Evolute tools, but pattern became looking wobly after applying planarization settings and several optimization steps. After more optimization steps, it looks wrinkly. Is there any way to make surfaces like this one completely planar ?

Maybe evolute tmap can help.

-Konrad

@Bojan, you´re using “Rhinoceros Corporate”, where did you buy it ?

c.

At the corporate store, where else? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hi,
planarizing a pattern like this will most certainly be impossible. Please note that this is not a problem of EvoluteTools, but impossible by geometry. The only approach which might be worth trying is the following, although chances to find a useful solution are small:

• Step 1: Create pattern
  • Step 2: Constrain movement of vertices to a “normal” direction, thereby preventing the faces from crumpling and collapsing. As an alternative, manually define fairing constraints.
  • Step 3: Planarizing using constraints from step 2.

Thank you for explanation.
I got much better results on that way, but planarity (scale invariant) of some polygons are still above 0.05 and I need all polygons to be 0.0 (completely planar). I also try “TruePlanarity” parameter at optimization importance panel, but without success. Actulally, I didn’t figure out, what is the difference between “Planarity” and “TruePlanarity” parameter?

I got similar results with other n-gons, including quads. Do you consider proposed geometry as impossible for planarization any pattern? Do you think that reason for this are surface parts with negative Gaussian curvature?

Hi,

about the difference between the optimization goals “Planarity” and “TruePlanarity”: There are slight implementation differences for these two goals, but in your case practically there will not be any difference. You can use either of them (both at the same time is ok but does not make sense).

The given geometry is certainly a challenge. You might want to try the following:

1. Pure planar quad solution: This is only possible if you stay close to the pattern of principal curvature lines. Try to use etExtractCurvatureLines to understand this pattern, and try EvoluteTools T.MAP.

2. As a last resort, a hybrid mesh will always work: http://www.evolute.at/?p=2008_Louvre