PictureFrames cannot be exported to dwg

Hello everyone,

I am having an issue while exporting my file to dwg/dxf format. All elements gets exported apart from the pictureframes! I don’t get a blank surface, they are simply not in the dwg file.
In the export dialogue box, I have ticked the save texture box and my images are embedded in the 3dm file. I am exporting to a 2007 Solids with the surfaces set to be exported as solids.
But I still get a pop up window saying “some objects could not be exported”. When chexking the command history, it says that the pictureframes are missing.
Does someone has a suggestion to solve this issue?
Thank you in advance and have a good Sunday!

Hello - in my quick test here, this seems to work - I’ll attach my test file.

picture.dwg (27.3 KB)

-Pascal

Hello Pascal,

Thank you for your answer!
I am opening your dwg file and… no picture!
Do you think it might be something with my computer? I am running Rhino5 on a mac and Rhino6 in parallel on Bootcamp. I have the problem with both version.

Hey @pascal
Not working here either on latest V6 RC for Windows… Nothing comes in:

Opened AutoCAD file version AutoCAD 2007.

Image file not found: “E:\Projects\baked.png”
Model space objects read: 0, skipped: 1
Paper space objects read: 0, skipped: 0
Block definition objects read: 0, skipped: 0
XRef objects read: 0, skipped: 0
Successfully read file “D:\Downloads\picture.dwg”
Command: _CommandHistory
Command: '_SelAll
No objects added to selection.

Hi @pascal,

Have you had the occasion to look into this PictureFrame issue?
I had to export another file and have faced the same problem again…
Thanks!

Hello - let’s see how it works if I provide the image-

Picture_PG.dwg (27.3 KB) Popeye

-Pascal

I suspect the problem is Parallels.
That’s not a supported platform and this is specifically listed in the Rhino for Windows System Requirements.
Parallels does not support Rhino’s minimum OpenGL requirements, and that is an OpenGL based tool.

… appears to be looking for an external rather than embedded image?

Hello,
thank you for your answers!
@pascal the file is completely empty when I open it. I reckon I also have a problem with opening dwg files with images in it…
@cdordoni I have already found myself in situations where I get the same white frame. This time it is different because there is absolutely no PictureFrame object in my files!
@John_Brock I have to admit that I don’t understand your answer… what is Parallel?

Have a good Sunday!

Hello - place the image file in the same folder as the dwg and then open the file - does it find the image?

-Pascal

Works here

Hi @pascal,

it worked for your file & Popeye. However, I have exported again the file with which I previously had issues in the same folder than the images I am missing but it didn’t solve the problem.
It looks like PictureFrames object are, in this case, just not making the jump from 3dm to dwg!
Am I missing something in the process? The same dialogue box still pops up to tell me that objects could not be exported. Attached is a screenshot of the dialogue box I get after hitting the F2 key.

When you save the DWG, do you have Save textures checked?

Hi @John_Brock,
Yes, save textures is checked…

Rats.
I can’t make it fail using Rhino V6 and AutoCAD 2018.

Hello - can you save off the picture object in Rhino to a new file, verify that it does not work from there, and send us the file? Here, or via tech@mcneel.com

-Pascal

Hello,
still no luck. I am joining you the dwg file + image used.
Thank you!
PictureFrame test.zip (334.7 KB)

Ah so it is not that it is not finding the image, it is not exporting the plane at all, correct? can you send the 3dm file and the dwg export scheme you are using?

-Pascal

Was the Picture Frame scaled, cropped or mirrored after it was first inserted into the Rhino file?

1 Like

Exactly, it doesn’t export the plane at all.
@MattE, I have done this drawings a little while ago… I might have cropped them on Rhino. I will make a try out with an uncropped image.
I am away for a couple of days so I can’t send any file at the moment… Will do as soon as I get back!
Thanks!